Gibson Brands Forums

"Got Some Rock & Roll Thunder"

sellen

Cool! I love AC/DC but wish they would play more songs from post 1980 albums as they have played similar set lists for the past 30 years. What about playing some classics like Spellbound, Snowballed, Badlands, Rising Power, Shake Your Foundations, Sink the Pink, Nick Of Time, Two's Up, Razors Edge, Burnin' Alive, Honey Roll and many other great tunes they never play? Some of my favourite tunes they have never even played live! It's like they ignore every album since Back In Black and that was 36 years ago! Still a great live band, but really guys...

Now that's what I'm talking about 'Scales...such a splendid song, surely they could bring it back to the setlist?

Another thing I never understood about their setlists is that the For Those About To Rock album got to No.1 in the US yet they only ever play the title track. Millions of people know and love many of the tunes on that record. Back in Black was No.1 in the UK and they have played most of that album for years. Ok, it's one of the biggest selling records of all time, but 'For Those...' isn't exactly an underground record by any means either. Very strange. One of my favourite AC/DC albums is Flick of the Switch, but the chance of them playing anything off that is a big fat 0% [crying]

I got to see them on the Stiff Upper Lip tour in 2000 and they played the title track and Safe In New York City. Both of those tunes vanished without trace by the next album's tour, like many that had gone before.

I saw them on the Ballbreaker tour.. They were amazing.. Everything youd want.... Cant really remember the set list cos it was so long ago (1996)...

The one thing I do remember so much was when Angus sang a few words to Hard as Rock.. Man that was funny..

This has to be one of my fave ACDC songs you don't hear much about... Such a blistering full on rock song.. love it...

Even though in saying that there is footage of Brian doing it.. He does the job, but Bon was so much better I think.. More of a singer where as Brian is just a growler (his poor throat :))..

In the 35 years since Back in Black only 3 songs: For Those About to Rock, Thunderstruck and R'n'R Train have gotten a permanent slot on the setlist - everything else is 73-80 plus whatever new album (if any) they happen to be promoting at the time. I'd go for a bit of For those... or Flick... myself - good albums.

I kind of think of Flick of the Switch as their 'Presence' - not liked much by many people but a good straight ahead bluesy rocker to me.

Sadly I also think of Fly on the Wall as their 'In Through the Out Door'... not so great.

Rabs, I agree with you about Riff Raff... there's a cool version of Gone Shootin' from that VH1 gig as well. Don't get me wrong, the gig I went to back in 2000 was superb, but it would be nice to see some more rarely played songs in their sets. I always liked Bon and Brian equally and thought they were too different to compare.

'Scales, interesting comparison to Zep. Even though In Through the Out Door wasn't great it had some really good moments like Fool in the Rain and Page's solo in I'm Gonna Crawl, much like Fly on the Wall had the title track and the two I mentioned earlier. A lot of people seem to dislike Fly on the Wall because of Angus & Malcolm's production more than anything, however, Fly on the Wall isn't AC/DC's worst album in my opinion and I do enjoy it once in a while.

'Scales, interesting comparison to Zep. Even though In Through the Out Door wasn't great it had some really good moments like Fool in the Rain and Page's solo in I'm Gonna Crawl, much like Fly on the Wall had the title track and the two I mentioned earlier. A lot of people seem to dislike Fly on the Wall because of Angus & Malcolm's production more than anything, however, Fly on the Wall isn't AC/DC's worst album in my opinion and I do enjoy it once in a while.

Here's my theory, and I preface this by saying I really like Brian - seems like an absolute top bloke and does a great job at what he does. but...

I reckon there was enough creativity left over from Bon and new stuff coming in from Brian to get them through BIB, FTATR and FOTS. After that Brain started to sound pretty much the same on just about everything they did (compared to Bon who could really mix it up a lot more)... now, given that - as awesome as they are - Angus, Malcolm, Cliff, and Phil (and by Malcolm's demands his replacements too) all keep what they do to within a pretty defined space at virtually all times, well, the result from not having a singer who could mix it up and bring out more creativity in the rest of the band kind of became evident from Fly onwards. IMO.

anyhoo, just my thoughts as a kid at the time who bought all the albums from Powerage through to Blow Up Your Video as they came out - they were my favourite band of all back then.

Brian would never have written this :)

I have no problems with Brain really.. Hes done an amazing job over the years... But I just feel that hes just not creative at all with his lyrics.. Or maybe more importantly not as playful and cheeky as Bon.. I got into 80s ACDC which is one of the things that got me in to playing and rock in the first place Thunderstuck is a classic and stuff like Heatseeker and Guns for Hire are great, so I like a lot of that era and later too (but certainly not all of it).. but Bons songs were just better, more fun... Musically as mentioned the rest of the boys do what they do and they do it well...

Well that's what I reckon anyway.

Yep, that's what I'm saying Rabs.

Not just the lyrics either, but song tempos too - I mean Bon could be grooving away doing The Jack or Ride On one moment and then you got Bad Boy Boogie and Let There Be Rock hammering down on you the next!

Really enjoying this discussion guys and totally understand what you both mean. Bon's lyrics and humour were different from Brian's for sure, but also bear in mind that from The Razor's Edge onwards all the lyrics were written by Angus and/ or Malcolm. They all came up with amusing lyrics, but as you say Bon did have a natural gift for mischievous and funny subject matter.

Cool! I love AC/DC but wish they would play more songs from post 1980 albums as they have played similar set lists for the past 30 years. What about playing some classics like Spellbound, Snowballed, Badlands, Rising Power, Shake Your Foundations, Sink the Pink, Nick Of Time, Two's Up, Razors Edge, Burnin' Alive, Honey Roll and many other great tunes they never play? Some of my favourite tunes they have never even played live! It's like they ignore every album since Back In Black and that was 36 years ago! Still a great live band, but really guys...

Totally agree!

But they have some songs they just have to do, at a show i sure wanna hear songs like

TNT

Dirty Deeds

Let There Be Rock

Whole lotta Rosie

Hell aint a bad place to be

Highway to hell

Hells bells

Shoot to thrill

Back in Black

You shook me all night long

Thunderstruck

A couple from the new album

Personally i would add

Live Wire

Gone Shoothin

Let's Get it Up

Shake your foundation

Thats the way i wanna R"&"R

Hard as A Rock

Stiff upper Lip

That's about 20 songs, and i do think that's enough for Brian [biggrin]

Of topic

Watched this vid the other day, What an absolutely fantastic player. The extended solo was really cool.

Makes me wonder how long time he use to copy this stuff, i will not even bother to start [biggrin]

Awesome effort - bravo that dude! [thumbup]

Now, imagine doing that and at the same time being a little guy in your 60's, many nights into yet another long world tour, under the flashing stage lights and deafening PA roar, rolling around on your back in a pool of sweat, climbing amplifiers and runways, in front of 100,000 people who know every damned 1/4 bend and trill... and absolutely nailing night after night!...oh, and there's 20 other songs in the set.

I'm not really sure it matters. For 30 years AC/DC has been doing the same 3 Chord rock about Chicks, their balls, the devil, and getting drunk. I don't think it made sense releasing new ones after a while. And while many fans like the more polished sound you'll find on the Razor's Edge record and after, for most fans, Bon Scott is the man, and Back in Black is quazi AC/DC. For me its all good.

There's a lesson in this BTW. If you are really good and writing power chord songs about your balls, the Devil, chicks and getting hammered. Don't change. Don't start going all Axl Rose and stuff. Stick to the formula.

I'm not really sure it matters. For 30 years AC/DC has been doing the same 3 Chord rock about Chicks, their balls, the devil, and getting drunk. I don't think it made sense releasing new ones after a while. And while many fans like the more polished sound you'll find on the Razor's Edge record and after, for most fans, Bon Scott is the man, and Back in Black is quazi AC/DC. For me its all good.

There's a lesson in this BTW. If you are really good and writing power chord songs about your balls, the Devil, chicks and getting hammered. Don't change. Don't start going all Axl Rose and stuff. Stick to the formula.

I lived near where the "Boys" got their start and that was when they were playing high schools and pubs. At that time in Melbourne we had either "Glam Rock" or tough hard "Pub Rock" ACADACA were of course in the latter category and made the other stuff look like fairy floss. Well at least they didn't wear make up and look like fairies..lol. (well most of the time....Grin~)

I prefer music with "balls" and they certainly fitted that description with Bon leading them. Raw? Suggestive? Yeah all of that, but bloody unique then, and still is worth a listen.

Totally agree!

But they have some songs they just have to do, at a show i sure wanna hear songs like

TNT

Dirty Deeds

Let There Be Rock

Whole lotta Rosie

Hell aint a bad place to be

Highway to hell

Hells bells

Shoot to thrill

Back in Black

You shook me all night long

Thunderstruck

A couple from the new album

Personally i would add

Live Wire

Gone Shoothin

Let's Get it Up

Shake your foundation

Thats the way i wanna R"&"R

Hard as A Rock

Stiff upper Lip

That would be an awesome setlist [thumbup]

AC/DC should do a 'by request' set like Metallica did and see what fans pick. I wonder how many rarer tunes would get played?

Archived