Gibson Brands Forums

Need help identifying what model of Gibson Rich Williams of Kansas playing in this 1976 photo?

maruaderguy

Dear Forum,

This photo was probably taken around 1976.

This guitar has a Les Paul shape, and a light fingerboard. Almost looks like maple. It has an odd pickguard on it. No control switch on the top

Any idea what model it is? At first I thought it might be a Marauder, but the knobs and pickguard are different.

KAN09%20Rich%20Williams.JPG

Thanks for your help

Dear Forum,

This photo was probably taken around 1976.

This guitar has a Les Paul shape, and a light fingerboard. Almost looks like maple. It has an odd pickguard on it. No control switch on the top

Any idea what model it is? At first I thought it might be a Marauder, but the knobs and pickguard are different.

KAN09%20Rich%20Williams.JPG

Thanks for your help

Looks like the L6-S

L6-S

Hello!

Yes, that's the L6-S - Gibson's most underrated solid guitar.

Here is one in US for pennies: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/Vintage-1974-Ls6-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-111610967.gc

It's so underrated, that the 2011 Reissue I have, was sold at half price as a blow-out item in 2013. [blink]

HPIM4529_zps57d7b3e6.jpg

Cheers... Bence

Thanks for the info. I would like to buy one of these with the amber finish and maple neck with block inlays.

I looked around online and I found a lot of dot inlayed necks for between $800 and $1100, and ONE block inlayed 1973 just like Rich's for $1750.

Is that the correct market rate for a block inlayed version? Kind of a lot.

Does anybody else have one of these block inlayed ones out there that would like to sell it?

Thanks

As a teenager, the guy I took lessons from all the while I was in high school had one identical to that. I have a picture of me playing it at my wedding reception (we hired his band for the music) and he dragged me up to do a few songs with his band.

yea I know, useless trivia.. this thread brought back the memories

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

To be honest with You, I didn't knew about the block inlay version of this guitar. L6-S has a few variations: Custom, Midnight Special, but that one is new to me.

Cheers... Bence

There were very few of the early ones featuring block inlays and the "upper" strap button (well, either are level [biggrin] ) at the neck joint's back. As next they came with dot inlays and the strap buttons still level, and later the strap button was moved to the upper bout. This makes reaching the upper frets easier.

Here is my ca. 1973 L6-S, dot inlays, strap button still at neck joint - blank truss-rod cover and TP-6 finetuning tailpiece are personal mods:

L6-S_front_zpsf5f6c0f6.jpg

Here she is pictured with the "blonde" one of her two 2011 "stepsisters" I own - blank TRC and TP-6 on her, too:

IMG_1631_zpsjgcbmr6g.jpg

Archived