Gibson Brands Forums

Tail Piece 2011 Les Paul Custom

bemb

I have had quite a few different year Les Pauls, But I now Have a 2011 custom and the tail piece does not go down to the body like other les pauls I have had, is this normal? did they make a change on this year so they dont go to the bottom, the screw will come out but both sides stop pretty solid before they hit bottom, does anyone know if this is the way they are? Info would be appreciated!

Depending on bridge heights and spaces between bridge and tailpiece, except the three of my L6S guitars none of my stoptail Gibsons don't call for a tailpiece down to short before the screw beads crack the finish. Therefore I can't say for the other seven stoptail Les Pauls and SGs if they allowed for that. I always adjust tailpiece height so that the strings safely clear the bridge's rear upper edge.

Could it be that there are some glue or finish remains in the threads of the bushings?

I will pull it apart this weekend and see whats going on, so all of you believe that the tail piece bolts should be flush with the body? The stings at the tail piece have just a small air gap between the bridge and string, looks about right, thats why I wonder if that is the way it is made to be. Maybe I should try a shim pack under the tailpiece, would that be a problem?

I will pull it apart this weekend and see whats going on, so all of you believe that the tail piece bolts should be flush with the body? The stings at the tail piece have just a small air gap between the bridge and string, looks about right, thats why I wonder if that is the way it is made to be. Maybe I should try a shim pack under the tailpiece, would that be a problem?

Basically it should be possible to screw the bolts all the way down, but the actual height adjustment you described seems perfect. I don't use shim packs - they would destroy the finish around the bushings, and it's debatable if there are any sonic advantages.

Archived