Gibson Brands Forums

No guitar for 6 weeks!

flyingarmadillo

Avoid dilaudid whenever you can. Withdrawal can be hard.

I think it's best to move hand and forearm carefully while your arm rests in a comfy position. Perhaps "air guitar" fretting same time is a good idea. Muscle power and endurance of the right arm will decrease, but I think you'll regain them within some two weeks or so after healing. At least it has been that way after the three of my bone fractures. However, I was much younger than.

I wish you a quick recovery!

When I was young and learning to fingerpick, I used to imagine every touch of every string on each finger. I did this on a bus or walking. Anywhere I was without my guitar. It helped me continue to learn.

As for forced withdrawal, after long holidays I frequently find a wonderful fluidity & wonder 'where did that come from'? It's just dropping the most recent habits.

After injury, I had to take a break of many months after a compound finger fracture. It was such a pleasure to resume playing I didnt notice any hardships.

Good luck with your recovery!

I had rotator sugery on my right shoulder yesterday so no playing for at least 6 weeks! Does anyone have suggestios about things I can do to keep skills up?

On the 'plus' side I did get the good painkiller (dilaudid), but no alchol while I'm on it.

Would you qualify for a free visit or two to a physiotherapist?

They will have specialized knowledge and be able to recommend suitable exercises.

Some of them want you to come frequently and will lead you through the same exercise program each day.

I'm a little bit jaded on that. You only need to have them lead you through the exercises once. Then you can do them on your own, particularly if they will give you the exercise instructions on paper. Nothing wrong with seeing a physiotherapist for as many visits as your health care provider or insurance company will pay for.

Even paying for one or two visits to a physiotherapist yourself might be worth it if they also give you a paper copy of the exercise regime.

Time to work on your fretting hand technique. Get your hammer-ons and pull-offs as loud as a picked note. Practice bending in different increments, and to really challenge yourself, coming Down from a bend in increments. The usual stuff: Scales, patterns, arpeggios and most licks are also an option...

Wishing a speedy recovery for you!

-Ryan

Sorry Man. No advice here. I know when I had some surgury they put one of those damn things around my neck and stuck my arm in it. After the 2nd night of trying to sleep with that stupid thing, I ditched it. Wasn't too many days later till I was doing some acoustic strumming....Just Sayin... [biggrin]

Time to work on your fretting hand technique. Get your hammer-ons and pull-offs as loud as a picked note.

Good call. Turn up the gain enough and you don't need a picking hand. Add a volume pedal for swells on the fretting hand attack and you are all set. [thumbup] Be well and heal.

Archived