Gibson Brands Forums

Top 10 Guitar models of all time

daveinspain

Hmmmmm…….

That is indeed a nice list, and an impressive collection of iconic guitars, I must admit.

But it is incomplete.

There was virtually no mention of Reggie’s Gibson Upper-Midtown bass in Pelham Blue, or Archie’s Fender Zoinkscaster in that classic tobacco sunburst.

I’m disappointed.

[crying]

tumblr_m3irmi74hP1qemxfbo1_500.jpg

It's not that I really disapprove of the list. These things are subjective. I'm more bugged that every guitar on the list is either a Fender or Gibson either in name or subsity. I do believe that ESP has been around long enough and had enough players (James Hetfield) for one that they could have droped an ESP in somewhere, or is it forbidden to talk about guitars other than Fender or Gibson? [unsure]

It's not that I really disapprove of the list. These things are subjective. I'm more bugged that every guitar on the list is either a Fender or Gibson either in name or subsity. I do believe that ESP has been around long enough and had enough players (James Hetfield) for one that they could have droped an ESP in somewhere, or is it forbidden to talk about guitars other than Fender or Gibson? [unsure]

ESP makes some VERY good stuff, no doubt. But I can't think of an iconic ESP guitar.

They are basically upscale copies of the stuff on that list...the good ones, anyway.

Cool video with lots of good footage [thumbup]

The only one I thought shouldn't be there was the Ibanez Jem as it has always been known as Vai's guitar and not really played by any other known players to my knowledge (much like Satriani's). Not disputing it's a good guitar, though I've never tried one or been interested in getting one myself, but is it really that legendary? Only musicians/ guitar players would know what it is. I do like Vai and Satch very much , just don't see their guitars in the same league as many others.

Also, there's no ranking of an ES-175, L5 or Super 400 [crying]:rolleyes:

Glad the Les Paul beat the Strat [biggrin]

I dont know what the top 10 should be.

but 5 out of 10 here turn out to be Gibsons ! hmmm... :-k

... and two of the top three were Fenders. [tongue]

I don't disagree with the list (if you're talking about rock guitars), although I might not have included the Ibanez, either, and being a jazzer, I would have squeezed out a couple (like the Explorer and Flying V) to make room for the ES-175 and L5. And overall, through the history of all electrics and for all genres, I think the LP might not necessarily finish number one.

In the OP it does not say top 10 electric guitars of all time.

The Martin D-28 has been around a lot longer, and is usually considered the classic acoustic.

Good choice. Could add the Martin D-45 too. I'd also go with a Gibson J-45, J-185, J-200, Dove, Hummingbird, Southern Jumbo, AJ...oh wait, that's already another 8 and we're only allowed 10!

I didn't watch the video. Is it any good? 5 of the 10 are Fenders, right?

rct

2 out of 10 being the Strat & Tele. Oddly, they included a Flying V and Explorer yet didn't place a Jaguar. Seemed a bit strange to me as Jaguars have a huge following.

I guess the 335 represented all Gibson/Epi hollows and semis, the Gretsch all Gretschs, the Jem all 80's superStrats and 'pointys', and the Les Paul all PRSs (kidding!!).

Maybe honourable mentions were due to the Firebird, Epiphone Coronet and Mosrites.

Fun but, obviously, flawed as all these 'Top XXX' things are.

Thanks for posting, Dave.

And another WTH for the Jem. Good guitar I'm sure but has anyone else (of note) actually used one?

Personally if I were to publish the 'Top 10 Electrics of All Time' I'm pretty sure the Fender Precision Bass would be right up there at the pointy end of the list....

Pip.

Thank you, Dave, for posting. [thumbup] The video is both interesting and funny - who could ask for more? ;)

Any ranking based on whatever sources are flawed as Pippy said, but it seems to confirm that my taste for electric guitar is fairly average in general. [rolleyes] Bare numbers say I own six #1, four #2, five #3, four #6 and one #10 guitars. However, that's less than half the truth.

The devil is in the details. Most of my guitars are rather uncommon variations of their principal designs. For instance, only one of my Les Paul guitars is of common make. Four have switching options, one additionally an extremely rare combination of timbers, one a piezo Floyd Rose system stock. The only common one of my four SGs is a late 1970's Standard like they sadly were never made again. Another one of my SGs has three magnetic PUs, togpot, and a piezo bridge stock. My Explorer is a Government Series with Dirty Fingers Pluses.

Then I insist on Floyd Rose systems on Strats and six adjustable saddles on Teles. Furthermore, six of my nine Fenders have stacked noiseless pickups, just one of these had them stock, and one more came with humbuckers. Five of my Fenders have piezos, three of my Teles three magnetic pickups each.

So... Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, SGs, and Explorer basically yes, but only three of twenty can be seen as representative for the related models. Perhaps I can't even trust the pure numbers in statistics I have falsified myself! [biggrin]

Archived