Gibson Brands Forums

What Do You Think?

Jim Wilson

All other things being equal, do you think that the use of hot hide glue in guitar construction makes for a better sounding instrument? We know that it makes some repairs easier, such as removing the neck when that becomes necessary. But, in terms of sound production, is the old technique better or is that just hype to get more money for a guitar?

In all sincerity, I have no idea. I've heard for several years all this stuff about hide glue, but I've never heard exactly why it is better for sound and construction than other glues used for guitars. I've got a 70+ year old Oahu guitar and it's still holding together. Sounds okay. Maybe they used hide glue on it, but I don't know. I see 40 year-old Yamahas and I'm sure they don't have hide glue. There may well be information that shows that hide glue is better for tone/sound, I just haven't read it and I suspect it would not be sounds easily measureable to the human ear. Good question. I hope we get a definitive answer.

In the latest issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine (March 2016), Dana Bourgeois discusses the question (pg 82). He says, "I've always believed...that design, selection of individual top and back woods, and individual voicing accounts for perhaps 75 percent of the sound of the guitar."

I absolutely believe in it. Just look at the 2 when they dry. Hide glue is much harder. Closer to glass. Titebond is softer. Closer to rubber.

Those aren't exact descriptions and yes, they exaggerate. but the best examples I could give.

Which do you think would transfer vibrations between 2 pieces of wood better though? I would say hide glue.

Keith

My take is that EVERYTHING matters when it comes to the acoustic tone of a guitar. I believe that many small incremental improvements in design, materials, and workmanship are what make any product excel. I don't claim to be able to hear a difference between a guitar built with hide glue and one built without, but I do believe there is a difference, and it is when all these individually "insignificant" improvements are added up that the magic happens.

The theory behind the improvements in tone/response of a hide glue guitar is that this glue hardens to a very strong, extremely hard, bond between all wooden parts of the guitar, which is supposed to enhance transfer of vibrations. White glue, on the other hand, dries to a rubbery joint that inhibits vibrations. Now that is only the theory, but it kind of makes sense...

With all that said, I would not buy a plywood guitar with hide glue [mellow]

Lars

Archived