Gibson Brands Forums

composite fretboard ?

buliwyf

What does the guitar sound like acoustically? Is it treble rich? Fairly loud?

I like the artificial fingerboards I have tried.

I agree... the Richlite fingerboard on my Midtown feels great. Doesn't feel plastic-y or anything unusual and has a nice dark look akin to ebony. I have no problem with it at all.

Richlite is the only non wood fretboard I have heard of Gibson using. I had a Shred Les Paul Studio with a Richlite board. I had no problem with it and only sold it to upgrade to a Les Paul Classic. I wasn't using the FR bridge all that much and I liked the neck on the Classic better.

I also own a couple guitars that have carbon/glass composite. I have a Parker Fly Classic which has a composite exoskeleton (and composite fretboard) and it is one of the most stable guitars I have ever encountered. The other is a CA (Composite Acoustic) Cargo which is an acoustic with no wood. The body and neck are entirely composite, with graphite nut and bridge, and stainless steel frets. This guitar is also much more stable. I would consider this sort of composite material a bad thing.

The other is a CA (Composite Acoustic) Cargo which is an acoustic with no wood. The body and neck are entirely composite, with graphite nut and bridge, and stainless steel frets. This guitar is also much more stable. I would consider this sort of composite material a bad thing.

You would or wouldn't?

Archived