Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Ltd. Ed. Wildkat Studio

Campbell

As I’m sure many of you have discovered by now as well, Epiphone recently released the news about a “new” model about to hit the markets, the Wildkat Studio. I have a special place in my heart for the Wildkat. It was the first Epiphone guitar I ever purchased a few years back. I immediately fell in love with her and Epiphone, which prompted me to make my next purchase just a few months later for the Sheraton II. That led to my next Epiphone…then another…and another…

So I was pretty excited to learn they were coming out with a new model, a studio version, at that. As I’m sure many of you have also discovered by now, it’s simply a regular Wildkat without the Bigsby. Labeling them “studios” seem rather odd considering they have body/neck binding and maple caps. But I’m not going to be overly picky about what they want to call them, I just think it’s a pretty cool guitar, nonetheless.

N_020116F1.jpg

Funny, I had been wondering if they’d ever bring back another Alleykat any time soon. Well, they have, in a way. I’m not a big vibrato user, preferring to go the BB route and just use my fingers, but of all the various vibratos I’ve had on guitars, I do prefer the Bigsby the most. That said, I like the idea of a Wildkat without a Bigsby. It seems they will be going with the maple neck, as well. My Wildkat, Ltd. has the maple neck, though for a while they were producing some with mahogany necks.

N_020116F3.jpg

N_020116F4.jpg

I’ll be curious to see what the MSRP will be on these new models. I’m hoping it might be a tad less than the traditional Kat models, since there is less hardware, being sans Bigsby? Although, I imagine it will probably be the same as the regular. I definitely have the Gold Top model on my “Must Have” list!

N_020116F14.jpg

Jeepers! I didn't even mention the Flamekat and the Alleykat! When are they comin' back!?!

Epiphone%20FlameKat%201.jpg

Flamekat

AlleykatHC.jpg

Alleykat

LOL, I know what you mean.

My actual Wildkat has a very natural wood grain on the back. These photos do have an almost "Stepford Wives" perfection to them. agree.

agreed. Here's my 'Kat's back"

Back.jpg

These just look like they decided to not add Bigsby's and that's it. Nothing really all that new.

Except that if you figure the Bigsby is worth about a buck and a quarter...hmm....

agreed. Here's my 'Kat's back"

Back.jpg

Except that if you figure the Bigsby is worth about a buck and a quarter...hmm....

Which is all the more reason they should cost less. At least a buck and a quarter!

My Wildkat's backside:

LyKljnA.jpg

(plus my slight ghost image in it's reflection)

It's not a photo ON the guitar. It's one guitar back IN the two photos, paired with different fronts.

I know, I remember fotoflame well for it's very short career. It's disturbing that they'd go to the trouble to fotoshoppe up some pictures when they could just take pictures of three guitars and their backs.

rct

Archived