Gibson Brands Forums

BOSS FZ-5 Fuzz Pedal

darling67

I originally posted this in the "Gear" forum last night. But not surprisingly, it's received "0" views. So.......

I bought a BOSS FZ-5 Fuzz pedal a short time ago, and finally started to work it into my pedalboard...

But I've been having issues with it. It sounds like it's cutting out—or "crackling". I can't seem to get it to just give an even fuzz sound to my guitar in the "M" position (Maestro).

I've read where it emulates the original Maestro such that it will cut out if not cranked up enough on the Boost. But I was hoping to use it with some more subtle fuzz—and not with so much fuzz as to lose the individual string nuances. Perhaps "fuzz" and "nuance" don't mix?

Is there a spot on a pedalboard where it would "behave" better? I have it second in line to my Fulltone Fat Boost.

Thanks for any advice or input you might have.

-James

Any boost pedal may overload the input of any subsequent device and cause unwanted distortion. Boost pedals will also overload valve/tube input stages into grid current and plate current breaks resulting in harsh clipping. Very hot pickups already can do this without boost.

On its product page Fulltone recommends using its Fat Boost as last device of the pedal chain: http://www.fulltone.com/products/fat-boost-fb-3

That cutting out effect is called gating. To put it simply, the FZ-5 is not a good choice for what you're trying to accomplish.

I would recommend something like a germanium Fuzz Face, where the clipping intensity can be widely controlled with your picking dynamic and volume control. It has a range from clean to fuzzy, something that not many fuzzes do.

Big Muffs will be a bad choice for this. Gated fuzzes will probably be a bad choice for this (limited dynamic range). You're gonna want something like a Ge fuzz face, and hopefully a good one

I used to have a Maestro that I used rarely, and when I did, it was for that intense, crazy thing it did.

Truthfully, for some fuzzes and for some sounds they make, playing them in a way to avoid that cutting out is part of the technique when you "play" them.

Certain types of "fuzz" effect aren't smooth or dynamic, more like a nasty, buzzy, in your face "grrr" thingy. THAT type of sound and setting will cut in and out depending on what is played.

So basically, if you are going to play that sound, you have to play your notes accordingly, making sure you don't let them cut out when you don't want it to.

The Maestro FZ-1A pedals varied a lot due to the germanium transistors. The one that I have doesn't really sound gated. It's hard to describe the sound, but it's a cool pedal that actually has a lot of dynamic range. Different pickups can sound very different, and your pick attack has a big influence on the sound.

499D1D80-A1CB-4264-8CD3-2DCBE55300C8_zpsrsrkqqfp.jpg

If the FZ-5 actually sounded like the Maestro, it would be cool

Like Stein said, if you're playing a gated fuzz (or any fuzz) you need to adjust your playing to get the most out of the sound. A good germanium fuzz face like I suggested would require less adjustment, and respond similarly to a tube amp, but with a fuzzy sound when pushed hard

Thanks a lot for the replies and info, you guys...

Dub-T, the other pedal on my list, before I ultimately chose the FZ-5, was the Dunlop Fuzz Face. I may look into that one…

… after I try the FZ-5 with my Fat Boost behind it. See if that makes any difference. Thanks for the link, Capmaster.

Stein, yeah. Sounds as if I may not have gotten the right Fuzz for what I need. Need to check it out with my pedal chain switch-up first.

when it comes to fuzz, there is only ONE. there is no fuzz better than this one. it's just how life is

I am not familiar with that brand / pedal. Thanks for the suggestion... maybe I'll check to see if there's a youtube demo on it.

I am looking for a "vintage" fuzz. I think the Dunlop Fuzz Face is the direction I am headed.

I am not familiar with that brand / pedal. Thanks for the suggestion... maybe I'll check to see if there's a youtube demo on it.

I am looking for a "vintage" fuzz. I think the Dunlop Fuzz Face is the direction I am headed.

The Dunlop fuzz face is ok. Some models are better than others. The Joe Bonamassa ones are pretty good. The Hendrix and standard ones are hit or miss

The Dunlop fuzz face is ok. Some models are better than others. The Joe Bonamassa ones are pretty good. The Hendrix and standard ones are hit or miss

Good to know. I think the red Mini Fuzz Face sounds good—at least it does on the youtube demos I've watched. I want a geranium, and not silicon fuzz.

Most Fuzz boxes I've heard are a little too, ummm.... much? :unsure:

Archived