Gibson Brands Forums

To criticise or not to criticise?

LarryUK

This isn't a slagging post or for arguments. But, when I see videos like this I cringe. How has this girl got on and how can people rave over her? Someone compares her to Lee Ritenour!!! Yet when someone criticises it they get slated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFjuJy6IhSQ

Your thoughts? I think she is terrible and shouldn't be on that stage. Who puts her there?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's not much to be said in favour of offering-up a damning public criticism.

Privately, if asked, then one could give an honest, full-bodied answer but I don't really see any real value in criticising any performer in a negative way on the internet.

Why bother to do it? I really mean that question seriously. What would be the point?

I couldn't bear to listen to the clip for more than a few seconds (and I tried 'another few seconds' at regular intervals just to check) but my opinion counts for zilch and I know, and accept, that fact.

So I won't bother saying that, IMO, whilst she wasn't absolutely the worst player I've ever heard she was nowhere near as talented as countless tens of thousands of anonymous players who are destined to remain anonymous eternally and...........no; I'd better stop there.

Pip.

It's complicated.

Our society has devolved to the point where people only want to hear happy, sunshiny compliments, and nobody wants to hear genuine (constructive, truthful) criticism.

Everybody gets a trophy, and there are no losers.

Plain-spoken truth-tellers get attacked for being rude, insensitive, and/or (pick one) racist, sexist, and discriminatory.

My thoughts on this girl's video, truthfully:

On the good side, it's really cool that she has the support of her parents (that's them playing drums and bass guitar, I assume).

Too many kids today are noodling around on their cell phones and hanging out in the McDonalds parking lot with other slacker losers.

I really admire kids who are into playing music, engaging in sports and athletic endeavors, and actually creating something good for the world.

This girls gets kudos from me in that regard.

And I do like her smile and her cheerful attitude.

On the down side, she still has a long way to go to get her chops up to par, especially when tackling a classic Jeff Beck guitar song like that.

She's not a bad player, don't get me wrong, but she still needs a lot of practice and maturing as a player.

I look forward to seeing her improve in the years to come.

And she has all my support.

:mellow:

After viewing the video from the OP and some more of her including the one I linked below, I can't find anything wrong about her playing. Her smile is misleading in some way I think. To my senses and taste the song arrangement could be improved.

Anyway, it's not the style of music I typically listen to regardless of player. Having confessed that, I have neither right nor attitude to put her down. Tastes are different.

To me all the criticism just sounds like jealous old men, envious of a little girls level of success no matter how small.

Honestly... in every video she posts on YouTube someone is complaining in the comments about her smile.... They don't like her smile.... her smile... [biggrin][rolleyes]

She's a better guitar player than I have ever been.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4QsW7MgMkc&list=PL1B51B1461AD79556&index=11

At 18 she's more successful that I will ever be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_lMIYqSE4w

As for "who put her on stage?" well that would be Sammy Hagar, Skunk Baxter, Ted Nugent, Marshall Tucker Band, Dickie Betts, Barry Goudreau, ect ect, .

I watched the 1st video. All of it.

I agree totally with Searcy.

Sure there are a couple of missed notes in the 4th minute but that's all. Wish I could smile like that instead of grimacing. Come on - she is doing a show in front of an audience.

There seems to be a myth that -

1) Only males can really play rock or blues or lead guitar. Utter BS, nasty too.

2) If you have supportive parents who can afford to buy you a nice guitar, that's cheating somehow and you haven't paid your dues. More BS.

I wish we had more female members on this forum but they probably get put off. Not surprisingly.

I liked her smiling! Nice to see someone enjoying being on stage [thumbup]

Her version of 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers' wasn't great to my ears as there were definite missed bends and some dodgy vibrato, but also it wasn't terrible. That's not a criticism, just an observation. I think it's okay to comment so long as it's helpful, done in a nice way and not purposefully just to offend.

When we are learning instruments our teachers tell us where we can improve, what we didn't do well, what needs to change in our playing. To me that's helpful and they're not sugar coating everything (like some people do) to boost our egos or mislead us into thinking we are fantastic when we are not! It's okay not to like everything and to dislike things as that's what makes the human race diverse and interesting I believe.

I go with the sentiments of Sparquelito & Cody.

In the case of this young girl, she is likely not mature enough to be able to handle criticism anyway. Her people? No. they wouldn't either.

However there is nothing wrong with honest dispassionate criticism, and most people now dont understand that. They perceive it all as a personal attack and respond to it that way.

I used to jam with a sax player who said to me one day, "you've been playing 30 years, how come you aint better than you are?".

It was an honest opinion, and he spoke his mind. I was grateful for that, and we went on to have an incisive & useful discussion.

No one improves getting bigged up by endless praise, especially when most of it is insincere. It might aid confidence, but thats another subject.

Criticism CAN help you improve. Ok, you've got to have the belly for it, and they way to begin is to giving up being so damn'd precious.

Until very recently part of a persons profile of the songstuff forum was the option of stating you preferences to criticism. The pre-sets ranged from 'Take it easy on me' to ' give it to me both barrels'.

I'm Evans : GIVE IT TO ME BOTH BARRELS

One either shrinks, from criticism, or blossoms! If you CAN take it, constructively, most tend

to work harder, and better, to improve. If you take it as a personal affront, you probably shouldn't

be doing it, to begin with. Of course, it depends on the type of criticism, initially. Constructive,

or destructive. I love, and need, the constructive. I have no use, whatsoever, for the destructive kind.

But, let's face it, there are those out there, that "get off," on destroying anything positive. So, I try

to take that into account, as well. And, at least try to offer good comments, and a positive slant to any

constructive criticism, as well. To be respectful, without pandering.

CB

It's the old Guitar Player joke. "How many Guitar players does it take to screw in a light bulb? - 100. 1 actually to do it, and 99 to talk about how they can do it better."

We should be encouraging young creatives, and not trying to hold them to a measuring stick of another.

Our society has devolved to the point where people only want to hear happy, sunshiny compliments, and nobody wants to hear genuine (constructive, truthful) criticism.

Everybody gets a trophy, and there are no losers.

Plain-spoken truth-tellers get attacked for being rude, insensitive, and/or (pick one) racist, sexist, and discriminatory.

^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

Desirée Bassett has been one of the two tour guitarists for the 'Michael Jackson "The Immortal World Tour"' by the Cirque du Soleil. There were 501 shows worldwide between 2011 and 2014. This is plain truth.

My guess is that she didn't get this job by accident, for her looks, or her smile.

Desirée Bassett has been one of the two tour guitarists for the 'Michael Jackson "The Immortal World Tour"' by the Cirque du Soleil. There were 501 shows worldwide between 2011 and 2014. This is plain truth.

My guess is that she didn't get this job by accident, for her looks, or her smile.

That's the tricky thing about contemporary music. Unlike classical, you don't always have to play perfectly or precisely,m though even some classical players aren't as good as others. Compare her version to Jeff Beck's and she does not play it nearly as well or accurately as his version. It's great she is giving it a go and I encourage her and anyone to pursue there passion for music, but it's just simply not as good as Jeff's or many other players versions I've heard over the years. No disrespect to her meant in any way.

Our jazz band was pretty darn good though. This is me on keys. My brother is on bass as in all videos. The singer in the last video was our drummer who's playing here. Listen to how to cuts with the band starting at 1:37. We'd only go over a chart 1-2 times at most before playing it. All solos were ad libbed. Not bad for a bunch of young teenagers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ_P8KfiAWE

Criticism is only valid if it has a purpose that can lead to good. Otherwise, it's just putting down another.

Unless of corse, situations where others are possibly being hurt or harmed by someone's actions. But that isn't ever the case with music, is it? Well, sometimes.

Having said that, I don't like to judge "live" music. There is an element to it that only happens in the moment, that intangible that doesn't get across in recordings or vids. It's a different art than preparing a song for recording, or making a record. So I might judge someone's efforts at a recording, but I wouldn't bother having an opinion of a recording of a live performance.

The question is to Criticize or not to criticize?

This kid can play circles around me, my mouth is shut and will stay that way. Who the he*l am I ? If if I was in a position to rip this kid and tell her what she was doing wrong, I still wouldn't whats the point?

I leave matters such as this to those who are better suited to give criticism. Funny thing is. Those who are great players, the pro's who would are better suited, probably more often would not. They would play on.

I had a f**k of a life and due to a lot of B.S. couldn't develop to the player I could ever want to be. Too much wasted time, trying to feed myself have a roof over my head, living in cars, and crashing on friends couches, etc

etc , excuses excuses... Now I am nearing 50

and am running to catch up and I will never ever be as good as I could of been if I could of started early . Its a hard truth. But it is true none the less.

It is sometimes hard not to feel envious and jealous of those who grabbed the ring and started early, who had better opportunities given to them and walked through the doors that were opened for them, or like many of the

old Black blues musicians- kicked down the doors and overcame obstacle over obstacle- they still do..

the young have something many of us do not have.. Time., and yeah, sometimes that sucks.

Again, I am not worthy here.

Let me just say, when I opened this thread, I'd never heard of her.

I read the OP as in, "this was supposed to be a great new guitarist" and the OP didn't get it.

I listened to 2 minutes and didn't hear it either.

I would NEVER insult someone's playing on Youtube, nor did I say it was bad, I just wasn't impressed with the first 2 minutes of the first video in this thread. I haven't listened to any more of her, probably won't, but I certainly didn't, nor would I say she wasn't a talented young lady.

I'm happy to see ANYBODY carry on with real guitar work, and wish her the very best in her career.

Archived