Gibson Brands Forums

Help! Am I ready to trade?

AnneS

Gents, here is my dilemna: I haven't much ready cash, which is usually the case. But I would like a good travel guitar, and while the little Ibanez parlor I bought last year is sort of OK, I really need something nicer for my ears and more suitable for hot cars and cold days.

So of course I'm thinking carbon composites. I've just sent an email query to Dream guitars about this one:

http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail/4648-ca_cargo_hg_red_with_electronics_003bck0141221/#full

I have to say, that might do the trick, and I'm thinking a trade (plus some cash, I know) of my (gulp) 2000 maple J100xtra would be the way to go. It turns out, since I got the J45, the J100 isn't getting much use and, it also turns out, I really really like a short scale.

Talk to me...😳

If its not getting played, and can assist with providing you with a CF you envision as a grab and go guitar, its Ok to move it along. I have moved a handful of really really nice guitars because they were not getting much play time, and were the means to broaden the J-45 variety that I fine comfortable, fun, and suitable. Yep. Move it along, a J-100 is likely going to blow somebodies hair back, they are nice guitars.

Smile Fierce !!!

Have you played one Anne?

When you say travel are you talking airline? I would guess not when you mention hot cars. The Dream guitar covers both I would say, fits the overhead compartment and composite.

I have always been intrigued by these composites. I would like to have something I could leave in hot/cold camper. I think the scale 22 3/4" would not suit me well. For now I just keep an old Guild beater for camping. I have found when I stray too far from my norm I am uncomfortable.

Good luck with the decision.

Thanks Dan. Yes, having to move one along to make others possible isn't something I've been countered before. Well, check that--I did sell a guild D50 in order to procure this J100. But I had fallen out of love with the Guild, so I never looked back. I still love the J100, though, and I don't know how I'll feel about this in the future. I guess no one does, though.

No I haven't played this one yet, but Dream Guitars is local, so I would obviously get my hands on it before I would consider making a trade. If it gets my juices flowing, then...

Gents, here is my dilemna: I haven't much ready cash, which is usually the case. But I would like a good travel guitar, and while the little Ibanez parlor I bought last year is sort of OK, I really need something nicer for my ears and more suitable for hot cars and cold days.

So of course I'm thinking carbon composites. I've just sent an email query to Dream guitars about this one:

http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail/4648-ca_cargo_hg_red_with_electronics_003bck0141221/#full

I have to say, that might do the trick, and I'm thinking a trade (plus some cash, I know) of my (gulp) 2000 maple J100xtra would be the way to go. It turns out, since I got the J45, the J100 isn't getting much use and, it also turns out, I really really like a short scale.

Talk to me...😳

I have one of these guitars, except mine is the raw carbon version, rather than painted. It has the same pickup system installed.

Paid about $900-$1000 for it used (with gig bag), but in perfect condition. These show up fairly often on Fleabay.

It's a great travel guitar if you need a more compact guitar to carry aboard an airplane, as it easily fits in the overhead bin of everything except commuter aircraft. If I didn't need the compact size, but still wanted the ruggedness, I would go for a carbon guitar with a slightly larger body and a longer scale.

The concept of the guitar is good. It plays well (1 3/4" nut), and sounds surprisingly good for a very small guitar.

Don't know what your J-100 is worth, but it seems they are asking nearly list price for the CA guitar.

I have one of these guitars, except mine is the raw carbon version, rather than painted. It has the same pickup system installed.

Paid about $900-$1000 for it used (with gig bag), but in perfect condition. These show up fairly often on Fleabay.

It's a great travel guitar if you need a more compact guitar to carry aboard an airplane, as it easily fits in the overhead bin of everything except commuter aircraft. If I didn't need the compact size, but still wanted the ruggedness, I would go for a carbon guitar with a slightly larger body and a longer scale.

The concept of the guitar is good. It plays well (1 3/4" nut), and sounds surprisingly good for a very small guitar.

Don't know what your J-100 is worth, but it seems they are asking nearly list price for the CA guitar.

Looks like retail resale is comfortably in the $1400-$1500 range, and trade value depends, of course, on a few different variables.

My other option is to take it in a couple of weeks to the Bee3 Guitar Show in SC and see if I can get closer to that, seeing as they could possibly turn it around in a matter of hours. Then I could shop the used CA/Rainsong parlor-sized market at my leisure.

Hmmm....

Yes, regret is a big concern. I might end up not as lucky as Sal and his J50.

And good point about how this would not be a trade up. But where $ is an object, I find myself in this dilemma if I want a decent quality travel option. (Weekend jaunts to the beach, you see.)

Of course, I'll play the J100 all day and see if I can truly envision parting with it.

Now if I could just sell a song or two... 😋

I had a little Martin and sold it. In the two years that I had it, I found it cramped (and I LIKE narrow nuts) and before I could sell it, it needed to be hydrated and reset because the top was sinking. It wasn't as maintenance free as I'd been led to believe. If you're looking for a guitar that braves all the elements, stick with a Carbon-Fiber.

Just my 2 cents.

Anne, if your J100 has one of the wider nuts, I'm interested for real.........I sent you a message.

Hi, Larry--I'm getting a message that you're not receiving messages. ?

Anyway...I just measured--it comes in at 1-11/16, but I don't know if that'd be thinner or wider than one might expect.

I am having long conversations with it now, so I'm still undecided about whether to let 'er go.

I'll keep you posted, though!

Thanks for chiming in, all--very helpful.

As the owner of a J100-xtra from the same year,

I believe at some point you'll regret having let it go.

Don't do it!

I have to agree with bobouz with this Anne! As a long-standing member of the Gibby-Forum, I remember when you came aboard. Playing and writing songs on this J100.. Great sounding songs that you have recorded. I feel that the guitar was part of your soul and being. Some Carbon Fiber going to take 'its' place??? Don,t think so.

I have owned many guitars and amps. I regret selling many (a few less) guitars and amps....in the quest for "the next one"....!

Just saying....proceed with caution! Sometimes..... what we hold is worth more than what we want!

Rod

Yes, regret is a big concern. I might end up not as lucky as Sal and his J50.

And good point about how this would not be a trade up. But where $ is an object, I find myself in this dilemma if I want a decent quality travel option. (Weekend jaunts to the beach, you see.)

Of course, I'll play the J100 all day and see if I can truly envision parting with it.

Now if I could just sell a song or two...

What about these "weekend jaunts to the beach"....you live in Asheville.....no?

Take the Ibanez Parlour....if it implodes....buy another....LOL

Now if I could just sell a song or two... 😋

You and me both....

Of course you're on your own in making the decision. It's a tough one. I never play my Strat and think about trading it until I think about the E-Bay horror stories or remember the look on people's faces when they ask GC how much they can get for their guitar.

In favor of the Rainsong guitars, I have a friend who is quite the guitar collector and builder and also has something like 100 sets of premium old BR sitting in his back room waiting to be sold to someone who has that kind of money.

Anyway, he has a Rainsong and loves it and he can play whatever he wants or gets a whim to have built for him.

Best wishes on your decision.

Looks like retail resale is comfortably in the $1400-$1500 range, and trade value depends, of course, on a few different variables.

My other option is to take it in a couple of weeks to the Bee3 Guitar Show in SC and see if I can get closer to that, seeing as they could possibly turn it around in a matter of hours. Then I could shop the used CA/Rainsong parlor-sized market at my leisure.

Hmmm....

No dis-respect to the promotors of the Bee3 Guitar show, but I have never come away from a guitar show , be it, selling/trading 'anything'.... that I didn't feel a little 'abused' over!

Best bet, is a private party transaction...if you are the least bit hesitant or sentimental....truth!

I used to own a Cargo. I got it to take on river trips which is kind of spendy for something for so narrow a use. You should definitely play one before you buy it. I found it to be bass heavy, which really surprised me for it being such a small guitar, and because I like bass. I guess I would best describe it as unnaturally out of balance. It was pretty much impervious though. I also once owned a little Alvarez MSD-1 mini dreadnaught. All solid wood, Englemann over mahogany, and it sounded truly remarkable. I sold it for a pittance to a friend's high school daughter who just played the bejeezus out of it and it just kept sounding better. I got a STK(?)hard case for it and took it everywhere without a problem. I'd just put it in a dry bag made for guitars when I boated. I wish I could talk her out of it and get it back I like it so much, but she's very attached to it. The equivalent now is the Alvarez LJ-60 mini jumbo which is solid Sitka over laminate back and sides. When you think about it, if you've ever owned a jumbo, it makes a lot of sense to mini-fy a jumbo more so than a dreadnaught. But I figure that for around $300, and I think you get a padded gig bag with it, you can take a lot of chances with it. If it's satin finish, and I think it is, it will be a more durable finish than just about any other kind of finish. It will handle cold really well. It's the hot car part you really have to think about. As long as it's not for multiple days in a hot car I'd get those re-freezable ice packs and place them around the guitar in the gig bag (which is like a soft cooler anyway)and be sure to let the string tension way off. Make sure it's insured through your renters or homeowners policy if the deductible is appropriate, so that if it blows up you can try some other experiment. But I don't think it will. So now you're only dropping around $350 total which may allow you to keep your J-100x. You save around $600, which I'm sure you can find other ways to spend. That's what I'd do.

Archived