Gibson Brands Forums

Girl of my dreams...

Campbell

I decided to check out a little pawn shop in town I’ve not previously been to before. I noticed it had a few crappy guitars on display in the window, so I was curious as to what awaited me inside.

Hanging up behind the counter were two pretty nice Gibson’s: a Les Paul Studio and an SG. The little fella working there clearly had no real knowledge of what he had, as he began to tell me the Les Paul was from the 70’s. It was clearly a more modern, practically brand new model. In fact, it was a very nice one with a beautiful Black Cherry or Red Wine finish. He went on to state that the SG was from the 60’s. This too proved to not very accurate, but I was not interested in correcting him, nor did I have Gibson money to even think of haggling out a deal at that time.

But what really caught my eye and excited me was a black Epiphone Flying V he had hanging up, just a few down from the Gibsons. I acted cool though my heart began to pound. I casually asked what he wanted for the Flying V, he said four hundred some odd dollars. I asked if I could have a look at her. As he handed it to me, I could tell it was a Korina wood model. Again, showing his ignorance, he smiled and said, “It’s heavy!”, as I took ahold of it. I told him it was actually rather light and was most likely made out of Korina wood. He nodded his head in agreement, all the while knowing he had no idea what I was talking about.

As I looked her over, the most glaring issue was the pick guard. The previous owner, who was obviously a certified ****** bag, had covered both it and the cable plug with a series of one by three inch silver stickers. I can’t imagine it was to hide any flaws, I think he probably thought it made it look cool. Still, a pretty easy fix. I could see a few oddly worn frets. They didn’t seemed worn in a natural way, as if from excessive playing, but worn rather rough. But again, not an expensive fix. I noticed only one chip in the paint on the back of the head stock. Otherwise, everything looked pretty good on her. Even the gold plated hardware was not very tarnished. Then I took a better look at what I thought was a scratch on the heal of the neck…

That scratch, which ran from the neck joint downward about a half an inch, turned out to be a crack in the neck which ran all the way through half of the neck joint. I kept hoping it was just a crack in the finish, but as I was able to get a better view in the light, it was clearly a cracked neck. I pointed out to the clueless shop owner. He seemed to doubt my observation initially, perhaps thinking I was just trying to get him to knock the price down. But I went on to explain the crack to him and how it would need to be repaired.

I left a little bummed out. Even if I could get him to knock it down to half of what he was asking, I’m not sure it would be worth it, considering the cost of getting it repaired. But I don’t know. I thought I’d tell my little story here and see what opinions and ideas you kids might have on the topic. I’m sure she’s still there, hanging by her head stock (something I told him to stop doing with her!). I am 100% sure it’s the Korina model. I believe it’s this one (in black):

Korina-v.jpg

It might be a cool project guitar at the right price, but what would the right price be for a cracked neck Epiphone Korina V?

She was only manufactured between 1998 and 2011, and she would be worth exactly $400 in sterling MINT condition today.

In the condition you describe, she is worth barely $200 USD.

You can quote me to the pawn shop owner.

Offer him $175, just because his original offer was an insult.

:unsure:

Thanks for all the great feedback, kids!

[thumbup]

I pretty much assumed the same. I had no intention of paying even half of what he was asking for her, even before discovering the cracked neck. It was just an odd coincidence that I came upon her at a time when I had been seriously considering adding a Flying V to my family. It’s just a shame Epiphone doesn’t make them on a more regular basis…and I don’t count the Jeff Waters Annihilation-II with it’s bolt-on neck :angry: .

Looks like I was a little wrong about the SG he had, though.

I came across this while checking out a few vintage models at some website:

543070_02__07902.1453939109.540.540.jpg?c=2

That's the very same model he had in his shop. I guessed it to be more from the 70's, he said early 60's. It's a 1969 model ( I guess I was closer to being right than he was [flapper] ). This site is asking just under two grand. The pawn shop's was more than twice that, of course.

Looks like I was a little wrong about the SG he had, though.

I came across this while checking out a few vintage models at some website:

543070_02__07902.1453939109.540.540.jpg?c=2

That's the very same model he had in his shop. I guessed it to be more from the 70's, he said early 60's. It's a 1969 model ( I guess I was closer to being right than he was [flapper] ). This site is asking just under two grand. The pawn shop's was more than twice that, of course.

Wow, nice! That is one of the most coveted of SGs. [thumbup]

Two things:

Many of the Epiphone "Korina" models are not made of Korina wood, but rather of multi-piece Asian "mahogany" with Korina wood veneers front and back. There were some advertised as being made of Korina in both natural and ebony, but I've never seen one in person. All of the "Korina" Epiphones I've actually seen were pieced mahogany with Korina veneers.

Nobody should ever pay the listed price at a pawn shop, They expect to haggle, and start with inflated prices, but unless something is truly a rare collectible, they will ALWAYS negotiate a lower price.

Two things:

Many of the Epiphone "Korina" models are not made of Korina wood, but rather of multi-piece Asian "mahogany" with Korina wood veneers front and back. There were some advertised as being made of Korina in both natural and ebony, but I've never seen one in person. All of the "Korina" Epiphones I've actually seen were pieced mahogany with Korina veneers.

Nobody should ever pay the listed price at a pawn shop, They expect to haggle, and start with inflated prices, but unless something is truly a rare collectible, they will ALWAYS negotiate a lower price.

I know as much with regards to haggling, but the info on the Korina models being a veneer is good to know.

Jeepers, everything is just an illusion after all. [unsure]

Archived