Gibson Brands Forums

Removed My GeForce Tuning System...DO NOT LIKE IT AT All !!!

Macmutt

Hey guys i own a few Gibsons and one of the more recent ones came with that new Geforce tuning system and at first i thought it was really cool how fast it worked, i just selected the key of G for my tuning, then plucked each string and it tuned it in seconds.

However just one week later i went to play again and the guitar didn't sound in tune, so i turned on the Geforce tuner, and tuned it again and it tuned it again just as fast, however each week it was the same story, it does not hold it's tune for long.

Now i've had both standard Grovers and Gibson deluxe tuners that, as most of you know, you tune it maybe two three times a year, depending on your playing style or the temp condition of the room. well the bottom line is i recently had enough and swapped out my Geforce tuning system for some Gibson deluxe tuners, and i couldn't be happier.

I know everyone's experience isn't the same, but in my local music store, they say the majority of players either try to order a guitar without it, or bring in their guitar to have the Geforce removed like i did, so maybe Gibson should re-think this thing...seems like most people aren't too thrilled with it.

However just one week later i went to play again and the guitar didn't sound in tune, so i turned on the Geforce tuner, and tuned it again and it tuned it again just as fast, however each week it was the same story, it does not hold it's tune for long.

I have to wonder.

Pushing a button to have a guitar in tune after a week is an issue?

Macnutt,

I do not care for the G-Force tuning doodles, and to be quite honest, I would probably never purchase a guitar with it mounted in the first place.

My reasons for disliking the device have less to do with the practicality of it, or it's functionality.

It's more a matter of aesthetics and personal biases.

Having a foreign object on the headstock of a guitar just seems wrong somehow.

Call me crazy, but it drives me mad to see a player performing on stage with a clip-on tuner or a capo hung onto the top of the headstock.

All that said, I agree with the previous posters.

Having to tune a guitar a few times a day is normal.

When my band performs, I tune all the guitars and basses in between each set.

:unsure:

I have to wonder.

Pushing a button to have a guitar in tune after a week is an issue?

The need for that is not fine for the neck. After a week in her case stored under closely constant temperature and humidity conditions, a guitar should be nicely in tune after some minutes warm-up playing. If not, something went wrong with the latest tuning, whoever or whatever did it.

Two or three times a DAY is more like the real world.

When transporting or gigging, yes. Changing environments may call for quite frequent tuning.

Call me crazy, but it drives me mad to see a player performing on stage with a clip-on tuner or a capo hung onto the top of the headstock.

When my band performs, I tune all the guitars and basses in between each set.

:unsure:

Even tuning between songs, in particular after the first song of a set, is definitely normal under stage conditions.

For me there must not be any stuff clipped onto the headstock whenever the thing is played including practicing. Who knows - perhaps some people are addicted to neck-heaviness... [biggrin]

Tuning issues are almost always related usually to the nut or poor restringing technique. G-Force or Min-eTune get you in the ball park but, in my experience, you still have to fine tune manually after a few string bends (especially the D and G strings) just like you do with manual tuning. Once I'm in tune and stable either system holds as well as the other.

As I see it, robo tuning systems are not designed to replace detailed manual fine tuning by ear. What they do do is get you in the ball park very quickly to a variety of tuning options and conveniently replace a clip on or pedal tuning system in a rather inconspicuous way.

Now i've had both standard Grovers and Gibson deluxe tuners that, as most of you know, you tune it maybe two three times a year, depending on your playing style or the temp condition of the room. ...

You only tune 2 or 3 times a year?! [omg]

[scared]

Am I missin somethin?

Depending on playing style and room conditions this may work indeed, even for recording requirements. As soon as I move my guitars or basses to different environments, they are e few cents off, but not at all at home. Here they go as little out of tune as a piano, and like with the piano it also highly depends on my tuning skills. During the first minutes after restringing subtle corrections might be required, but then they stay fine until I transport and want to play them anywhere.

If not retuned and played under different conditions, they might even be in tune after an extended ride by car including frost and heat conditions - see here: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/125672-best-tuning-stability-possible/

Someone had to balance out against J.Mascis so that the Universe can remain in equilibrium.

[biggrin]

Archived