Gibson Brands Forums

Calling all pick experts - can you identify this Gibson pick?

220volt

It is a Gibson heavy, I bought in early 00's or late 90's. Approx .88 -.90mm. It doesn't have a flower next to it, and it is not heart shaped like the vintage ones. In my opinion, nothing, and I mean nothing beats this pick for strumming. Not even a real turtle, blue chip or red bear. I have all of them and this thing simply sings. But I cannot find it anywhere online or in stores.

Thanks

gibson%20pick_zpsc4stehfw.jpeg

That is the Gibson pick model ES-666 Heavy NOS Thunder.

A favorite of bass players and New Jersey butchers (who like to use the pick to skin pork products right off the hoof), it is a prover carving winner.

It features a maple top, sitka spruce sides, and a back-shell of carbon fibre.

According to the Blue Book, it originally MSRP'ed for .22 cents, and now goes for $1.89 in mint condition.

Most H-thunder picks now sell on the street for a dollar and some change.

I own several, but am reluctant to post photos of mine.

I am that precious about them.

:unsure:

A favorite of bass players and New Jersey butchers (who like to use the pick to skin pork products right off the hoof), it is a prover carving winner.

According to the Blue Book, it originally MSRP'ed for .22 cents, and now goes for $1.89 in mint condition.

Funny.

So leaving out the sarcasm, you have no idea where I can get them?

Could it be you're talking these? http://store.gibson.com/pick-tin-50-standard-picks/

They are available in four gauges. When browsing for "Gibson Pick Tin 50 Standard Picks" you should be able to find a local supplier.

I thought the same at first so I bought what Gibson currently offers, heavy and Extra heavy but they are not the same. Those are pretty dull in comparison. They're also not the same as Fender heavy even though they are very similar. I tested them back to back and Gibson Heavy (in the photo) one sounds much better and despite being little thinner, feels little tougher and firmer.

I thought the same at first so I bought what Gibson currently offers, heavy and Extra heavy but they are not the same. Those are pretty dull in comparison. They're also not the same as Fender heavy even though they are very similar. I tested them back to back and Gibson Heavy (in the photo) one sounds much better and despite being little thinner, feels little tougher and firmer.

To my feel it could be the same problem I ran into during my beginner years in the early 1980's. I found that picks marketed under other than pick manufacturers' names frequently changed over time. I switched to some sold by and named after their makers, and they always stayed with the same make.

Sorry that I don't have to tell you anything more helpful... :unsure:

Smart man

4H

I think you are correct about that vintage era of picks being excellent, I had some Gibson jazz picks from that era and they were great. I have had luck with some of the Dunlop picks, especially the Jazztones (which are a bit thicker than .9mm). The Tortex pitch black are pretty good too and i think the material is pretty close.

Don't think they make them in that hard plastic any more. I know exactly what you mean from your description but don't think I have one left now either.

You might find a Dunlop pick that comes close in tone - Tortex, Ultex, or a large-size Jazz II or III.

Then there are V-picks, may be hard to get the right one but worth trying IMO.

http://www.v-picks.com/

One of the forum members from AGF suggested Gibson GG50-74H Heavy Radial Guitar Picks, which according to him is almost identical to their vintage ones in feel and tone. Those are different than what Gibson currently makes. I found some on eBay and ordered few.

Also, I have pretty much every pick under the sky inlcuding many gravity, V picks, Red Bears, Blue CHip, real turtle etc.. I'm a pick hound, what can I say :)

Just part of the collection

picks1_zpszwaqxuop.jpeg

picks3_zpskqrv8dt8.jpeg

220volt that is an impressive pick collection, the pick is one of the more overlooked aspect of tone, probably even more important than strings in some very important respects.

I totally agree. Pick can not only change the attack and loudness, but the character of the guitar as well. I found that truly good guitars will sound great no matter the strings, but the pick can really either kill it or bring it to life. .

I do apologize for my jackassery earlier on.

I occasionally write humorous short stories, and it's something that comes with no ON/OFF switch, nor does it feature a volume knob.

I have looked around the internet, and I can find no examples of that particular vintage Gibson Heavy pick available.

I do have a pick handed to me by Paul Stanley from the front stage of a KISS concert (Dothan, AL 1975) squirreled-away.

I also have a pick thrown to me by Rick Derringer from the stage of the Batschkapp (a rock and roll hall in Frankfurt, Germany). This was in 1991.

He was touring Europe at the time with Edgar Winter.

Drummer Bob gifted me a pick from Mick Jones of Foreigner, from a show in 1997.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

:(

I do apologize for my jackassery earlier on.

I occasionally write humorous short stories, and it's something that comes with no ON/OFF switch, nor does it feature a volume knob.

I have looked around the internet, and I can find no examples of that particular vintage Gibson Heavy pick available.

I do have a pick handed to me by Paul Stanley from the front stage of a KISS concert (Dothan, AL 1975) squirreled-away.

I also have a pick thrown to me by Rick Derringer from the stage of the Batschkapp (a rock and roll hall in Frankfurt, Germany). This was in 1991.

He was touring Europe at the time with Edgar Winter.

Drummer Bob gifted me a pick from Mick Jones of Foreigner, from a show in 1997.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

:(

ha ha all good.

Yes, those picks are almost impossible to find. Hence why I posted here. However, I just received in the mail Dunlop Primetone (without grip) different thickness and 1.00m and .88mm are extremely close to that Gibson. Especially .88m one. They do have tad bit more of a pick noise, but very close.

61BSx3UZu6L._SY355_.jpg

Archived