Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Nitro-finish question..

scottpaine_69

My 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic has a bit of a haze or fog look built up on the nitro-finish. How and what do I use to remove the haze? The only thing I've ever used on it is a Guitar cloth and every now and then I will use the Gibson pump polish (Says it's fine for nitro and all finished) sprayed on a cloth (Not the guitar). once I wipe the guitar with the cloth with the polish on it I wipe the guitar with a dry cloth to remove any exess polish from the guitar. That's what the directions say on the gibson polish. So did I miss something?

I live in West Virginia far from the ocean. I'll try the paper towl trick. My Black 1996 LP Studio is the same way but I just figured over the years of playing it would be the way it is. on the other hand my 2015 shouldn't even look close to the 96. I did notice the my other guitars I've had over the years like my Ibanezs' and esps' have never had finish problems. It seems like my LP's are the only one's even my epi' have a haze to them.

If I am reading this correctly, you mean the finish is cloudy?

If this is what we are talking about, the reason for this , is that some finishes are more porous than others, in a way. Nitro Gibson uses is especially prone. What you are seeing is "contaminant" that get into the finish, could be just oxygen as I understand it.

Gibson polish is supposed to be able to eliminate it. I have had good success with some Gibson polishes. Also, some lemon oils.

To find out, take a small area, and rub it on a little, and wipe it completely clean. You pretty much have to do the whole guitar like that, cause when it;s cloudy, you have to pretty much wipe what you put on clean off or else it just clouds up again. After the cloudiness is gone, you are fine polishing "regular"" again so long as you are using the right stuff (what you used to get rid of it, if that worked). I guess another way to say it, is you won;t know if it works unless you do it that way.

If I am reading this correctly, you mean the finish is cloudy?

If this is what we are talking about, the reason for this , is that some finishes are more porous than others, in a way. Nitro Gibson uses is especially prone. What you are seeing is "contaminant" that get into the finish, could be just oxygen as I understand it.

Gibson polish is supposed to be able to eliminate it. I have had good success with some Gibson polishes. Also, some lemon oils.

To find out, take a small area, and rub it on a little, and wipe it completely clean. You pretty much have to do the whole guitar like that, cause when it;s cloudy, you have to pretty much wipe what you put on clean off or else it just clouds up again. After the cloudiness is gone, you are fine polishing "regular"" again so long as you are using the right stuff (what you used to get rid of it, if that worked). I guess another way to say it, is you won;t know if it works unless you do it that way.

Yes! Cloudy is what I'm Talking about. I have the Gibson Pump Polish (safe for nitro). Most of the time I just use a clean dry gibson cloth to wipe it down before I put i back in the case. I only use the polish after I change strings (around once a month) or after a long night of playing. The color of the guitar is heritage cherry sunburst.

Cloudy usually means condensation under the clear coat. But you said yer other guitar is cloudy too.

If a damp, slightly abrasive paper like a paper towel smears the cloudy and then takes it off after some rubbing, smoke less cigarettes near the guitars.

rct

Cloudy usually means condensation under the clear coat. But you said yer other guitar is cloudy too.

If a damp, slightly abrasive paper like a paper towel smears the cloudy and then takes it off after some rubbing, smoke less cigarettes near the guitars.

rct

I do smoke but I do Not smoke in my house, all though if I did smoke in the house it still would not affect the guitar because I keep it in the case. I do notice when cleaning the guitar with a dry or damp cloth that it does smear the cloudy. It just doesn't come all the way off.

I do smoke but I do Not smoke in my house, all though if I did smoke in the house it still would not affect the guitar because I keep it in the case. I do notice when cleaning the guitar with a dry or damp cloth that it does smear the cloudy. It just doesn't come all the way off.

That's good then, it's on top. Try windex. I've cleaned guitars with slightly watered down Windex my whole life, it takes off everything doesn't hurt anything.

rct

That's good then, it's on top. Try windex. I've cleaned guitars with slightly watered down Windex my whole life, it takes off everything doesn't hurt anything.

rct

Indeed, try a SMALL spot first. It's very possible the stuff in Windex will work. I forget what that ingredient is.

If that don't work, try a little lemon oil or whatever. Again, a SMALL spot.

In my experience, stuff that doesn't work makes the cloudy area bigger, and stuff that works gets it gone. It's usually the game I have to play with polishes when I get the cloudies.

Windex is just really weak ammonia.

If it is really tough you can just squeeze a lemon right onto the guitar top and clean it. Watch the metal bits, some will not react well with the lemon juice.

rct

Windex is just really weak ammonia.

If it is really tough you can just squeeze a lemon right onto the guitar top and clean it. Watch the metal bits, some will not react well with the lemon juice.

rct

I kinda prefer lemon burst to tomato soup burst. Maybe more than Cherry burst, but REALLY like the iced tea burst.

I like tobacco burst too, but then again I pretty much smoke with my guitars. Most have seem smokey bars, none since they changed the law. None have seen lemons.

But, I might re-think this.

How does lemon oil work in guacamole? I tend to add lemons when California Avocado's are out of season.

I kinda prefer lemon burst to tomato soup burst. Maybe more than Cherry burst, but REALLY like the iced tea burst.

I like tobacco burst too, but then again I pretty much smoke with my guitars. Most have seem smokey bars, none since they changed the law. None have seen lemons.

But, I might re-think this.

How does lemon oil work in guacamole? I tend to add lemons when California Avocado's are out of season.

Not much of a fan of most bursts. Haven't had a cigarette in...12 years, but I did smoke much while playing. Limes for my guac, only limes. Getting good Avocados here in south jersey at the moment, I don't know if it is CA season or not.

rct

I just give them a wipedown with a duster. If I see any fingermarks, I breathe on it first.

I realise that nitro is relatively unstable, but I havent had a Gibson long enough to judge.

Could this area of concern possibly be fine scouring marks? My (2015( 339 has scuff marks where the finger guard ought to be. Its only light, but it shouldnt be there. I've been told its because the nitro takes so long to cure. Maybe yours has not cured either.

• 7 months later...

In my experience the problem with the finish is from playing while wearing short sleeve shirts.

Once I realized it was coming from my arm and switched to long sleeves, no more cloudy spots on the guitar.

Gibson polish would always take it right off, though.

Archived