Gibson Brands Forums

2016 HUMMINGBIRD VINTAGE

BirdMan81

Hello all. This is my first post and I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 35 years old, male, from Maine. I've been playing guitar for the past 15 years (played in a band in college) and now just play for fun. I am by no means an EXPERT but I can strum, have rhythm and can finger pick and can noodle around in some scales. My musical influences are Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Beatles, Pink Flyod, Johny Cash, Rolling Stones, and some newer stuff like Sublime, Lumineers, Pearl Jam etc etc. (Too many great artists to list here)

When I played in a band back in college, we mostly did original rock with a few covers. I had a nice Martin D-16RGT and a Standard Tele with a mint condition 1964 Fender Deluxe Reverb Amp. I sold all my gear after I stopped playing in the band 10 years ago and have been playing on an Appluase plastic round back guitar that cost $100.... Funny enough it actually sounds somewhat ok. Anyways, I'm in the market for a guitar that I'll have for the rest of my life and will be able to pass on to my son (currently 9 months old) assuming he even likes to play.

I'm looking at the following guitars:

2016 Hummingbird Vintage

J45/Southern Jumbo

Martin HD-28 or HD-35

I know they are all different animals and Any feed back on these above would be gladly appreciated, but the reason for this post is the Hummingbird. I have the following questions:

1: Pickguard- I once owned a Gibson J-160E that I bought used. For some weird reason it had a hummingbird Pickguard on it. After 1 year of use, the hummingbird design wore off. I'm not sure if it was an authentic bird guard, or maybe a cheaper Epiphone Bird guard. But this has me concerned enough now in my search for a new guitar . So I did a little research and found some people online have had similar issues. Has anyone experienced their bird design wearing off? If I remember correctly, the design was painted right on top of the Pickguard. Seems kinda dumb. Anyone with finger time on a new 2016 vintage know if the design is actually inside the Pickguard or painted on top? Also anyone here have first hand experience with their bird guard wearing off?

2: Strings- what are you guys using on your birds? Back when I played my Martin d-16RGT I used Elixer Nanowebs. They were very easy to play because of the coating and sounded ok too.

3: Electronics- I'm also entertaining a 2016 Hummingbird Standard because it comes with the LR Baggs system. Not sure how I feel about paying the 4K for the Vintage and then having to install a pickup system (Most likely the Baggs VTC). Thoughts on this. I have to believe installing anything would change the tone of the guitar...and besides looks that the only other reason to shell out the extra 1K on the Vintage 2016 Bird.

4: Sound- my understanding is that the "cooked" top gives the Vintage model a more round warm sound then the standard. I have listened to a lot of demos and it's hard for me to hear the difference through a computer. I need to hear it live I guess. Does anyone want to elaborate on their experiences? Looking for a nice sound that won't overpower my voice while playing. I just played a 2016 j-45 standard, HD-28, and hummingbird Pro. And I liked the hummingbird pro the best. The HD-28 was a cannon, but I liked the tone of the hummingbird pro the best.

5: Price- I haven't bought a guitar in a long time. MSRP is $4249 I think? I found a guitar center that was able to transfer one (never been played new in box) from another store. Is there any haggling to be done over price or should I just expect to pay MSRP?

6: Authenticity - how will I be able to tell is the model at guitar center is truly a 2016 Hummingbird Vintage and not an older 2015 or below True vintage version?

Anything else I need to know about these bad boys before I drop some serious money?

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I can help you with some of your questions.....

1. The Hummingbird design is on the top of the pickguard on the Vintage model. just like it was originally. And, yes, it will wear off. If that really concerns you, you need to get the Standard which has the design under the pickguard.

2. I use Elixir 80/20 Nanos on my Bird and think they sound great. I know a lot of people don't like any coated string but, for me, they work just fine.

3. No real advice here, you're correct, the Vintage has no pickup installed, so if you want to plug in, you'll have to pay the extra to have one installed.

4. Again, a matter of personal preference. I think my Vintage sounds better than any other HB I've ever played. My brother bought a HB standard at about the same time as I got my Vintage. As nice as his guitar is, I think mine plays and sounds much better.

5. You should be able to get a better price than MSRP, maybe not at GC, but somewhere, you need to do some shopping.

6. The label inside the guitar states "Hummingbird Vintage", not "Hummingbird True Vintage". Easy to see the difference.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Oh, unless you have a GC with some super tech, I'd find a recommended tech in your area to have it set up. It will almost certainly need to be done unless you're really happy with the way it comes out of the box.

Thanks for the reply man...I hate to say it but the "look" of the hummingbird is 50% of why I want one. So the paint is just right on top? How long have you had yours? Is it wearing off? Anyone else wanna chime in?

Also, just got off the phone with some "guy" at Gibson who is claiming that the standard AND the Vintage has the artwork painted on top. Maybe he didn't know what he was talking about.....wasn't real friendly either!

I then called Guitar Center in Hollywood CA and had them pull down a Standard Hummingbird 2016 and they told me the Pickguard design was built into the pickguard, not painted on top....WTF?

Not sure what to believe now!

Not sure what to believe now!

First : Welcome

Second : Take it easy

Third : Listen to Joe about the p-guards

The painted one will wear off and it will do soon, , , depending on how often and passionate you play the thing. Go' Std. if you can't bear to see the wildlife fade - or be coohl and let it happen. It actually looks quite good.

Apart from that, a very nice bunch of guits in your scope. More the or less the same I would choose to give zoom.

Look up Board-member Jesse Dylan. He got a '16 Bird recently, exploded in sheer joy on these pages for 2 weeks and disappeared in thin air after that climax (bless/miss him). Might be in Bird heaven still, but try to find his celebration-video on the Tube. No, , , wait a minute - I'll do it for you.

Enjoy ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N04_PPOcuU8, , , but don't count out the other models too early. They're all aces.

Keep us informed and happy hunting

Birdman81, I always take any new guitar to a luthier and have it set up. However, I have no experience with Guitar Center, so I can't help you there.

I would much rather take it to a respectful luthier in your area rather than let a 20 year old kid at guitar center mess with it.

Thanks for the reply. Why would Gibson make a 4K guitar that the main artwork wears off on?

One of them good Q's - could it have to do with paint quality/work environment.

The famous German panzer paint - conquered by US infantry during the Battle of Bulge and sent over the Atlantic in late 1945, then bought by Kalamazoo* - simply being too toxic.

*own homemade myth - nothing to it

anyone have any first hand experience with a 2016 Vintage Bird guard wearing off? pictures?

Even though I've had my Bird since last fall and I play almost always with a pick, I very rarely touch the guard with the pick, so there is literally no wear on it. I don't consciously do this, it's just the way I play. I guess the wear factor depends on how you play, I'm just lucky that I never have had to worry about wear on the guard.

Avery thanks for the link. I read the whole thread. Too bad Gibson hasn't sorted this out yet and they are asking 4K for a guitar that will lose the main reason why people are attracted to it. Looks like I'll be settling for the standard version with the flubbed non wear Pickguard. Unless of coarse it sounds noticeably worse then the vintage version.

I PMd Jesse for an update but my understanding is that he hasn't been on this board for a while.

Looks like I'll be settling for the standard version with the flubbed non wear Pickguard. Unless of coarse it sounds noticeably worse then the vintage version.

Just remember they are 2 different guitars. Not that the Std. is 'worse', it's just a bit heavier (sonic factor there) and have other tuners and colours, , , eeeeh and guard.

I played a couple of really good Standards, and even owned a dotless yellow one a short while.

Can't and never will regret the TV though - and frankly, the flora/fauna fade isn't that big an issue. Perhaps your technique won't harm it at all.

Think twice - and in this case set ears over eyes (apropos that looks vs sound thread).

Just remember they are 2 different guitars. Not that the Std. is 'worse', it's just a bit heavier (sonic factor there) and have other tuners and colours, , , eeeeh and guard.

I played a couple of really good Standards, and even owned a dotless yellow one a short while.

Can't and never will regret the TV though - and frankly, the flora/fauna fade isn't that big an issue. Perhaps your technique won't harm it at all.

Think twice - and in this case set ears over eyes (apropos that looks vs sound thread).

I agree 100% with Em7; to me there is no comparison between the two and far as build and sound. As I said earlier, my brother bought a new Standard at about the same time as I bought my Vintage. Although his is a very nice guitar, I think mine blows it out of the water in every respect. The only HB that was even close to the one I have now is a 2012 TV that I had, and sold, and regretted it the minute it was gone. I thought that was a great guitar. My new Vintage is even better.

1456159268[/url]' post='1743847']

Thanks for the link! I remembered one last question:

Should a 2016 Hummingbird Vintage come out of the box "Setup" or will I need to have Guitar Center do this (If so ....SHOULD I have Guitar Center Do this :) ???

I can only comment from my experience with my guitar purchase. When I bought my guitar ( J45 ) it was still in the shipping box . The guitar shop on the UK south coast checked it and set it up prior to my visit . They also offered to check and set up the guitar finally again free of charge after playing it in for a month , The guitars action is still the same as the measurements listed on the factory check list that came with the guitar . I would always play a guitar for a while before the final set up . One thing I learned from this forum is the importance of correct humidity, to this end I have used the Planet Waves two way humidity system in my guitar case for the last few months with great results .To my ears the new Vintage Hummingbird or the Vintage J45 in the Guitarist video are two of the nicest sounding and looking guitars I have seen for a long time . As I play with my fingers and not a pick , the paint issue on the pickguard wouldn't concern me , even though I rest my pinky on the guard all the time . As far a a pickup is concerned I would just use the Hummingbird as a standalone guitar at home and take out the J45 that has the LR Baggs element .

E-Minor....

How bad is your paint wear? How long have you had it? Where is is fading? Pictures?

On my TV - there is maybe 2 or 3% paint wear. I play it for around 3 or 4 hours a week. YMMV

Not sure why you suspect the pg you had a problem with was an Epiphone. But, since it was not on an actual Gibson H'bird - it is highly unlikely it was an actual Gibson HBird pg. Probably an aftermarket one.

Yes - if you Google this subject - you will find there have been some people over the years that have had issues with the paint wearing off, like the thread you commented on here that was started nearly 3 years ago.

But, to me - it's like reading product reviews on Amazon - there's always gonna be some that are negative.

For example - 3 years from now - someone might Google this subject and get this thread and read your OP and mis-assume that the PG you had problems with years ago was an actual Bozeman PG.

If, based on your list of questions & concerns - this is your #1 worry - I would pick the Southern Jumbo or the Martin. But, based on my experience - I think you'd be missing out on the best of the 3 for an unwarranted worry.

And, as has been discussed on another contemporary thread here re. a J45 Koa at GC - yes, there is definitely a lot of room for haggling their asking price.

G'Luck.

Obvious to see you caught the well known, highly enchanting, but dizzying Bird-flu. Congratulations.

You ask about my guard -

I got the HB TV in early summer of 2013 and have played it a lot though there are other acoustics around.

So the fading has begun. Nothing serious, but the hovering bird's beak is changing, so do the trumpet-flowers and the long swinging stem just below the hole.

During certain songs my technique plants a finger-ball right in that garden and there you have it. To be honest, it makes the Gibson look even better.

Don't be too 'sissy' about this - you will dig the guitar more as you see it turn real.

And I guarantee you that Hartford Snyder - the original artist behind this beloved wildlife-scenery - endorse every trace of wear as long as it's made from passion.

Fly BirdMan fly

I just played a hummingbird standard.... it sounded great but the playability wasn't that great. The action was high. I also noticed that the flubber pick guard wasn't quite Adhered well to the guitar top. I have an appointment to play a vintage version in a few days.

I just played a hummingbird standard.... it sounded great but the playability wasn't that great. The action was high. I also noticed that the flubber pick guard wasn't quite Adhered well to the guitar top. I have an appointment to play a vintage version in a few days.

The action will i believe, always be high when it leaves the factory. My standard came with high action as well.

And that's rather a good thing, it allows for setting it to your needs... high action better for sound and strumming, avoids buzzing, and you can lower it for comfort... Better this than the other way.

Any guitar you buy will require a setup anyways.

The 2016 is a nice beast... I havnt played a vintage, but the standard 2016 is quite light and after setup, the neck feels great, comfortable guitar.

I have no clue if, how fast and how these guitars "open" up, but i have a strong feeling that my hummy sound changed a lot in half a year of playing (played it alot in the last months, several hours a day). It sounds way richer than when i bought it, and the volume is quite impressive, it starts to be hard when strummed, to cover it with my voice. Mediums are fantastic. I always keep it in the case with humidifyers when i do not play it.

It is normal, i believe, that the flubber guard does not adhere too much to the top (it avoids cracks, because it lets the top free to deform depending on humidity).

Archived