Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Sg Special Bass

pvr

Hi-- First time forum user here or anywhere.

Hoping someone can help.

I just picked up an unused 2014 SG Special Bass. I'm getting older and wanted a short scale to ease some shoulder/neck pain.

I love the bass, great acoustic response and when I first plugged in I was really happy.

Then, about 40 minutes into playing a strange thing happened--

I had neck pu at 8 and bridge at 10. No sound.

Turned down neck pu. No sound.

Turned up neck pu, turned down bridge. No sound.

I couldn't isolate either pu and the only way I got a tone was if the neck pu was rolled back a hair from 10 and the bridge was at 10.

I removed back plate and didn't find any loose wires, but I did move a couple wires around to make sure they weren't touching. Tried again, no luck.

Next day I plugged in and all was OK!! It sounds great again, all functions as they should be.

I'm worried about playing gigs with the SG now. Any thoughts?

I'm not an electronics guys so please keep it simple if possible.

I did check cables/amps/etc.

post-77135-085798100 1456158377_thumb.jpg

Hello, and welcome!

I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. You've already done everything that I would suggest. Usually these problems come down to a bad connection, cold solder joint, bad cable, or a short to ground. It will be difficult to diagnose since it's working now msp_unsure.gif. You might try cleaning the pots and the jack with contact cleaner. Let us know if you find the problem.

Are you sure your cord jack didn't get pulled out from the SG's Output Jack. Even a partial pullout can disengage the cord. That's what it sounds like with no sound, and only one time. 2014 SG's had the old style output jack, replaced in the 2015 series SG's.

Thanks guys for the feedback. Hate to think I'd pull a rookie move like not plug in the jack all the

way, but I'll experiment with it just to make sure. Forgot to add pics--

You may have had it plugged in all the way, and it could have pulled partial out enough to not make a connection. That may have been one reason why the output jack on SG's was changed on the 2015 Series. The previous jacks may not have held the cord input jack in place.

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys for the feedback. Hate to think I'd pull a rookie move like not plug in the jack all the

way, but I'll experiment with it just to make sure. Forgot to add pics--

What ever happened with the 2014 SG Spl. cutting out on you?

It was a faulty input. Replaced that as well as the bridge, am now dealing with especially microphonic

neck pickup. I can't even use it live it squeals so much.

Has anyone tried potting this pickup or is there a better solution?

Archived