Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-165 Herb Ellis

ES165

Hi,

Thanks for adding me to the forum.

I just bought a '97 Herb Ellis from the Reverb site. I didn't think much of it at the time but after I pulled the trigger I realized I've never seen another Gibson archtop in this color. I've done many online searches and nothing. (I know the factory recently released another model with it but nothing from the 90's that I can find).

I don't have the guitar here yet (I paid with a Paypal e check so it hasn't shipped yet)so I can't take detailed pics. I'm going to post the url of the ad which has some decent pictures in it. The hardware looks stock to me.

My link

Edit: It has a "limited edition" sticker on the back of the headstock.

I would really appreciate some information on this paint if anyone has it.

Thanks,

Bob Hyde

Thanks Jon.

It's still on it's way to me from the seller. I spent hours trying to get info on the finish but really no luck. I was hoping it was something like that. I sent a pic of the back of the headstock to a friend of mine who used to work for Gibson and he said the paint looks as it should where it covers the serial number...

I appreciate the info.

Bob

Your 165 looks good..

Thanks. I appreciate that. Unfortunately USPS seems to have lost the guitar in Jacksonville Florida on Wednesday. There's an arrival scan then nothing. It was supposed to be delivered Thursday the 3rd. It would have needed to leave Jacksonville then arrive in either Tampa or Saint Petersburg then go out for delivery. I called them Thursday and they're going to look into it. This isn't good at all...

Thanks. I appreciate that. Unfortunately USPS seems to have lost the guitar in Jacksonville Florida on Wednesday. There's an arrival scan then nothing. It was supposed to be delivered Thursday the 3rd. It would have needed to leave Jacksonville then arrive in either Tampa or Saint Petersburg then go out for delivery. I called them Thursday and they're going to look into it. This isn't good at all...

Keep bugging them... USPS I found has always been good..and Im international... it can't be out there to far..

That doesn't sound funny at all. I cross my fingers for you. [-o< She's such a beautiful guitar!

I think I would be doing a little more than waiting at this point...how did you pay? is the seller credable?

I sent the seller a second message this afternoon via the Reverb message system so there's on ongoing record of this nightmare. He hasn't replied as he didn't to the first message regarding the lost shipment. He has good feedback but there's no excuse to ignore me unless he's hospitalized or deceased. Anything else is unacceptable to me at this point. I paid him with a Paypal echeck via the Reverb shopping cart which covers "items not received" thankfully. I didn't intend to pay with that echeck. Long story on that. In any case, I am covered totally. If he doesn't get back to me by tomorrow I'm going to escalate this whole thing with Reverb and Paypal. It's bad enough that the guitar is missing, I shouldn't have to be stressed and possibly paranoid about the seller too.

Thanks,

Bob

I sent the seller a second message this afternoon via the Reverb message system so there's on ongoing record of this nightmare. He hasn't replied as he didn't to the first message regarding the lost shipment. He has good feedback but there's no excuse to ignore me unless he's hospitalized or deceased. Anything else is unacceptable to me at this point. I paid him with a Paypal echeck via the Reverb shopping cart which covers "items not received" thankfully. I didn't intend to pay with that echeck. Long story on that. In any case, I am covered totally. If he doesn't get back to me by tomorrow I'm going to escalate this whole thing with Reverb and Paypal. It's bad enough that the guitar is missing, I shouldn't have to be stressed and possibly paranoid about the seller too.

Thanks,

Bob

California to Florida..is that correct? a three day delivery.. maybe a extra day for packaging.. Im not familiar with Reverb.. you got a tracking number?

California to Florida..is that correct? a three day delivery.. maybe a extra day for packaging.. Im not familiar with Reverb.. you got a tracking number?

Yes, California to Florida. I have the tracking info and check it a few times a day. No movement at all since last Wednesday. There's an arrival scan in Jacksonville Florida and that's it. I called USPS Thursday and they're supposed to look into it. I haven't heard a word from them either. The woman I spoke to from USPS told me it could take a while to hear back from them. She also told me to watch the tracking as it could "self correct". Fact is, if the seller was communicating with me I wouldn't be sweating it as much. Reverb keeps track of payment and shipping info along with the messaging.

The seller contacted me yesterday. I just now received an email tracking update from USPS thanking me for using USPS.com and that my guitar is in Puerto Rico along with this message.

"The package is delayed and will not be delivered by the expected delivery date. An updated delivery date will be provided when available. Your item arrived at our USPS facility in CATANO, PR 00962 on March 9, 2016 at 7:10 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

You gotta love em.

Bob

• 5 weeks later...

I wanted to update this since you guys were nice enough to give me the info I was looking for. I never received the guitar. It landed in Jacksonville Fl like it was supposed to but then it shipped to Puerto Rico. After arriving there and sitting for about a week it went back to Jacksonville. From there it went back to Puerto Rico. This took close to 6 weeks. Paypal refunded my money. The seller will be reimbursed by USPS as he insured it for full value. Unofficially, someone at USPS told the seller that it's probably postal theft and the thief found a way to keep the shipping label (who knows what it's really attached to) circulating back and forth until the heat dies down. Fortunately I found another ES-165 and it will be on the way to me tomorrow. The shipper WILL NOT BE USPS...

wow.. what a drag..

good luck with the "next" one

Thanks. I have a good feeling about the second one. This guitar was owned by a working jazz player and it's currently setup with 12 flats. The neck won't freak out when I change the strings. I have my fingers crossed. I should have it this coming Thursday.

I wanted to update this since you guys were nice enough to give me the info I was looking for. I never received the guitar. It landed in Jacksonville Fl like it was supposed to but then it shipped to Puerto Rico. After arriving there and sitting for about a week it went back to Jacksonville. From there it went back to Puerto Rico. This took close to 6 weeks. Paypal refunded my money. The seller will be reimbursed by USPS as he insured it for full value. Unofficially, someone at USPS told the seller that it's probably postal theft and the thief found a way to keep the shipping label (who knows what it's really attached to) circulating back and forth until the heat dies down. Fortunately I found another ES-165 and it will be on the way to me tomorrow. The shipper WILL NOT BE USPS...

Interesting, that actually makes sense.

It would be good to catch the guy, obviously. Is there a way to keep the heat on? After all claims have been paid and such?

When it landed in Jacksonville, does USPS have it on record where it disappeared? the post office or your house?

Archived