Gibson Brands Forums

Bogus ES 335 Advert?

pitfall

Just seen this site advertising numbers of brand new '06 limited run Gibson 335's in various colours.

Seems very fishy to me - or am I simply not trusting enough?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Wholesale-FreeShipping-NewArrival-Memphis-ES-335-Diamond-Limited-Run-white-Electric-Guitar/311819_456135646.html

Price is an indicator here......these are NOT Gibson

A real Bigsby and tuners will cost you that much. Fakes from ??? country and from one guy that I know that bought from there, the guitar received was NOTHING like those photos.

Last year I found a photo of one of my guitars on another site in China. It was a one-off, custom order and while looking at the site I was also looking at my guitar in my hands. Some of the sites steal photos and then send you crap. I am not saying this is one of those site (for legal reasons)

this is priceless...

taken verbatim from the link..

This brand new guitar. The sound of this guitar is absolutely marvelous. I believe this instrument will please most discriminative professional player. This style professonal guitar is compelely new and nice.

-Package:

Come with beautiful box, easy to carry and safety enough for guitar.

The cases shown in these photos are not included with the guitar.

Fa-ra-ra-ra-raa.. ra-ra-ra-raaaaaa!!!!

A real Bigsby and tuners will cost you that much. Fakes from ??? country and from one guy that I know that bought from there, the guitar received was NOTHING like those photos.

Last year I found a photo of one of my guitars on another site in China. It was a one-off, custom order and while looking at the site I was also looking at my guitar in my hands. Some of the sites steal photos and then send you crap. I am not saying this is one of those site (for legal reasons)

Brings up a couple of notes:

There are makers/distributors that are making fake Gibsons for the INTENT on selling them to "dealers" who then sell them however they can. This appears to be one of those, obviously.

An unethical "trade" or business for sure. As such, ONE of the tactics IS to use "real" guitars in photo's with no intention of sending the real thing. It's easier to hope a buyer doesn't notice differences than it is to put a photo on the web where it's available for scrutiny by everyone.

But in addition to that, they also build guitars with the focus on how they may photograph, and LOOK to people. Each generation of fakes seem to get "better" in some of these areas, when certain details get identified and more common knowledge, they will change of fix that detail. But really the point is, they often make guitars with the focus on how they look and photograph, and lots of these DO look a lot better in pics at certain angles than in real life.

It's a nefarious, fraudulent business. ANYTHING is on the table as far as ethical lines to be crossed.

Archived