Gibson Brands Forums

Lubing the nut

Thanks for your reply,

reason I'm asking is when I play a lot, I probably change strings twice a month or so. I was thinking putting Big Bends in there (I use their nut sauce too) twice a month could lead to unwanted build-up, and that maybe I'd be as good or better off if I use it only every other string change or so. To not gum up the nut, so to speak.

I don't think it's a worry.

You can clean them out when you have to, or add whenever.

The only thing I would care about is getting too much to wear it gets in other places besides the nut slots. It doesn't do anything in that case, and it can't be good.

Truthfully, unless the nut is sticking, there is no reason to add any if it's doing fine.

I change strings about every 5 weeks; and lube it with the Big Bends each time. I quite often clear up any of the previous application during the string change and clean, so apply some new stuff to cover the bases.

Hi Pinch

If you get the right Big Bends packaging, (link) you'll get a few small plastic applicators, one has a small brush on one end, I will usually use that to clean out the slots before reapplying, but, a tooth pick works too. If you have a jewelry cleaning kit, (like the kind you can get at department stores) I think those also come with very small brushes, that would work as well. (the cleaning solution is also a really good way to clean out ABR bridges, and other pieces of hardware than can attract dust.)

/Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Archived