Gibson Brands Forums

What's causing this?

Flight959

Recently I sold my Marshall Amplifier and bought something a little more sensible, a Fender Blues Jnr III. I often take it into the lounge when no one is home and spend half an hour playing guitar. I usually turn the amp on before to let it warm up.

This morning I did just that to return to the lounge to find that the amp was giving off a sound very similar to a 2 stroke motorbike ticking over.

I recorded a short clip on my phone...

Its never done this before...

Any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnd0mf6tjdc

Regards

What Bad says! Does it vary with the volume controls? If not, probably a bad cap.

They are sourcing some really cheap parts these days.

you can say that again!!

Fender amp reliability has nose dived, visit the fender forum sometime, and check out the threads in the modern amp section.

I'm sort of surprised I've had as good of luck that I have had with my two mustangs, I cross my fingers every time I fire them up.

Where did you buy this and what are the return policies?

I think, where it's 4 months now, you may have missed a return window and would now be into warranty service.

I can relate. when I bought my Marshall it stopped working after the same amount of time, (4 months or so)

I had to send it in for warranty, and waited a ridiculous amount of time for it to come back... (which was due to Korg reorganizing the marshall/vox service centers.)

the problem was an internal slow blow fuse... which had I known, could have fixed myself in 15 minutes..)

Guest Farnsbarns

As per our conversation earlier, motorboating from bad caps usually changes speed with volume and or gain controls. That isn't definitive though. I'd return it and go from there although checking what's running in the house next time it happens isn't a bad idea. It's very slow as well, again, not definitive but unusual.

Guest Farnsbarns

I've taken it back and it's going back to Fender. I didn't know Fender is in East Grinstead!

4 weeks is the turn around time.

Regards

I did. I found out when I called GAK out on claiming fender replaced my reverb tank with a non stock tank. I will be buying a strat in April, from somewhere else. GAK's loss.

Do you need to borrow an amp?

I think, for anyone having a tube amp, knowing a good amp guy local and accessible is as important as knowing where to get your hair cut.

Having to send your amp back to the distributor or dealer (who sends somewhere else) is for the birds. Tube amps always need something at some point, just like cars need tires and oil.

Point here: if you can, find a good repair guy who can work on stuff, first, then get Fender or who-ever to back them up, reimburse them, is gonna be the best way to go. It's a quality of life thing.

Archived