Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD - not Epiphone

Dodger11

I had a buget of around £300 for a new guitar - considered and played - an EJ200 CE a Hummingbird pro a Dove pro and an EL00 as well. Eventually plumped for a Harley Benton from Thomann without the opportunity to play it. It arrived yesterday and it's a cracker! Sounds almost as good as a Martin D41 I played in NYC a couple od weeks ago. Solid spruce top rosewood back and sides bone nut and saddle and fishman isys+ pickup - all for £230 free delivery.

HNGD Dodger [thumbup]

I know you've been looking for a while now, glad to hear you found the right one. Is it a dreadnaught? Same model as Mick has? I know he loves his, even with all the "higher end" guitars he has.

I'm not stalking you Dodger but a couple of weeks ago you mentioned a Harley Benton amp and in the course of research I found you on the Harley Benton Club forum so I'm not entirely surprised that you plumped for one of their guitars.

Enjoy your new guitar.

It is a dread Irish Rover. I have the HB copy of the Epi/Gibson semi hollow guitars as well and it's a good one too.

It's a different model from Mick's - think he has the solid wood model with cedar top.

Laughed at you stalking me mate! Was going to order that acoustic amp and still might

Nice to hear endorsements of Thomann stuff. At least I had assumed that Harley Benton was Thomann. They might be big (well... enormous!) but they seem to be enthusiasts like their customers. Lee Anderton & Rob Chapman videoed a visit to Thomann. Worth a look.

I've bought stuff from them a few times.

• 4 weeks later...

I've ordered from Thomann a few times now and would recommend them. The latest guitar was set up and had a QC card.

Nice one Dodger! I assume it's the 41se as I don't think you said what model. I've looked at these a few times, they have some very good feedback on thomanns site. I keep looking at the HBs as they really are good guitars. Been considering a OOO or OM and the HBs would be on my list. I think there is a YouTube video about that guitar by a German guy.

http://www.aguitarforum.com/threads/harley-benton-custom-line-cld-41s-martin-d-41-clone.84059/

The reviewer's ears must be painted on like mine as he too thinks his sounds like a Martin.

The reviewer doesn't (admittedly) even own a Martin, nor any higher end acoustic, so... until one actually has one and has spent lots of time with them, it's really just internet juice.

I'm glad you're happy with your new guitar though!

It looks really nice.

The reviewer doesn't (admittedly) even own a Martin, nor any higher end acoustic, so... until one actually has one and has spent lots of time with them, it's really just internet juice.

I'm glad you're happy with your new guitar though!

It looks really nice.

I've never owned a high end guitar either but have played a few and know what one sounds like.

Maybe an Epi EJ200SCE sounding better than a Gibson J200 is internet juice as well? 8-[[thumbup]

I'm really happy with the new guitar - it sounds as nice as it looks... B)

• 2 weeks later...

I've never owned a high end guitar either but have played a few and know what one sounds like.

Maybe an Epi EJ200SCE sounding better than a Gibson J200 is internet juice as well? 8-[[thumbup]

I'm really happy with the new guitar - it sounds as nice as it looks... B)

If you compare a maple J-200 to the Epiphone EJ-200SCE you have a much closer comparison.

I've yet to play a maple J-200 that sounded any louder, or much better than an EJ-200SCE. Certainly not $2000+ better.

Neither project all that well, and are surprisingly quiet for a body that size.

Now take a Rosewood B&S J-200 and the above doesn't apply.

Archived