Gibson Brands Forums

1950's or 60's help with identifying this Gibson

EricInNH

Attached is a picture of my late grandfather playing a Gibson. We think he purchased it in the 60's in Michigan. Can anyone help me identify the model this is? I've seen some that look "close", but they are all sunburst.

thanks all.

Eric

post-77290-091416500 1456845482_thumb.jpg

The guitar looks to be an L-7N (natural) with an added pickup.

The headstock logo through the cloudy area of the photo looks like the large straight script logo of the early/mid-40's. This logo was used until around 1947 when it changed to a slanted version. The "natural" finish L-7 was avaliable from around 1939.

IF.... this is the logo in the photo, then the the "double-ring" Kluson tuners are certainly replacements, as this style wasn't used until the late-60's/70's era.

Unless someone else here picks up on something I missed (or misinterpreted), I would say the guitar pictured is an early 40's L-7N.

I would concur. At first I was also keeping my mind open to the possibility of a 1947 or 1948 L4N (after the change to the double parallelogram fretboard inlays), because of the tailpiece and uncertainty about the size of the body, but L4's tend to lack binding on the headstock as well as on the bass side of the pickguard; and have mahogany necks. This does appear to be the L7N.

The pickup looks to be a DeArmond FHC (also known as the "Guitar Mike").

Archived