Gibson Brands Forums

Need Input on Amp

pappy

I have a Fender Mustang II combo amp. As I am looking to upgrade my equipment,now that I have a few nice guitars, I am beginning to research tube amps. As a rule I will spend a fair amount of time researching and am slow to pull the trigger. But that is my problem,what I am asking you folks is some input, the depth of knowledge that I have seen here on the forum blows me away,so I am seeking your input. Money wise I will have budgeted somewhere in the $450.00 to $700.00. It will be mainly to play in house and on rare occasions I get together with a some friends to jam. My guitar playing is generally for my solace and enjoyment.Any effects I will be building up a pedal board, nothing over the top but just a few pedals to obtain the sounds that i like. I am very eclectic in my tastes of music. It can range from folk ,blues,rock and even a little christian genre. So any feedback will be greatly appreciated.Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanx,Pappy.

I don't remember what guitars you have, but my advice is, very general here, spend as much on an amp as you do your guitar.

Also, very general here again, the better the amp, the better the sound will be. It makes more of a difference than what guitar you are playing.

Got any amp dealers near you? What can you get your hands on to play in person?

I don't remember what guitars you have, but my advice is, very general here, spend as much on an amp as you do your guitar.

Also, very general here again, the better the amp, the better the sound will be. It makes more of a difference than what guitar you are playing.

Got any amp dealers near you? What can you get your hands on to play in person?

We have GC and a great little place called dirt cheep music, I guess that I can go in and try amps there. My only problem is that I have a problem with crowds, a hangover from time in the military. I get waves of paranoia when in crowded areas. No way to control when and where it comes over me.

Guitars I have,

1954 Fender Strat reissue

Les Paul Studio,Hot Rod

Jackson Performer

1977 Les Paul Model 55

1984 SG

Epi Les Paul Standard Plus Top

Fender Squier

Ovation Acoustic/Electric

Purely personal view.... :blink:

I have huge ongoing pleasure from my Roland Cubes of various sizes....both at home and on gigs....

Also Laney VC30 combo fronted by a Boss ME70 and a few other pedals when desired...

V

:-({|=

PS In addition to H/B and S/C electrics I put Ovation 6 and 12 strings through same rigs... [thumbup]

They are expensive but there is nothing else that sounds quite like them - IMO modeling is close but doesn't behave in the same way.

The new generation of tube amps are low-powered but efficient and very loud so you won't need more than 20-30w.

You might start by looking at a reissue Fender Princeton with the 10" speaker, reverb and the classic Fender trem circuit. Expensive but from what you wrote, right up your street.

Of course second-hand is far cheaper and you will find that Fender Twin-size amps (big, heavy 2x 12" combos) are going for far less than they should, as they are out of fashion now.

Good luck!

I was going to suggest a Blues Junior as well.

or for a bit more $, the Deluxe Reverb Reissue would be a good choice

you may desire a good over drive pedal for these.

Another option would be a Black Star combo, the HT Club 40 would be in your price range

my brother in-law had one, he did like it, but upgraded to the HT 60 watt 2x12

the black stars are pretty feature loaded, so you'd probably have no need for an OD pedal in front of the amp

Thanks guys, I did sneak into GC and played the blues Junior, nice sound , and seems like it would do just what I am looking for, then tried the deluxe reverb Reissue, now that also tickled my interest. Need to try a few more,but heading off to Hilton Head for a long weekend getaway, so will continue research over the next few weeks. Your input is great, had no real idea where to begin but this gives some amps to compare and so far they fit nicely into my budget. Will also look online to secondary market now that I have a frame of reference as to what interests me.

Thanx folks this is a great help.

Archived