Gibson Brands Forums

New tailpiece for ES-339 (recommendations?)

maller

I had 2 of the original run 339's and am fine with the original lightweight tailpiece. I now had a new 339 that i really like. I know that is probably what you want to hear but I do not have any issues with the original.

Gibson tail

Thanks. I have some corrosion on mine. Not sure how or why. Maybe just age. So, thought of replacing it. But not at that cost!

It's chrome plated? Any ideas on how to get it looking new again?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I have some corrosion on mine. Not sure how or why. Maybe just age. So, thought of replacing it. But not at that cost!

It's chrome plated? Any ideas on how to get it looking new again?

It's a nickel plating, and all of them tarnish rather soon. All the nickel surfaces on guitars of mine are corroding faster than the strings on them do. Gold is wearing fast, and the nickel below corrodes even faster.

Chrome platings are much more durable against wear an corrosion. As long as they are covering the nickel layer below them completely, no tarnish will appear.

I leave all of my tarnished nickel parts as they are. As soon as polishing would have removed the nickel, the ZAMAK respectively brass surface would appear and subsequently corrode, making it all worse.

Archived