Gibson Brands Forums

Should I replace Gibson 500T bridge pickup (Flying-V)

brendan1

Hi! I am proud owner of Gibson Flying-V ´68 reissue (like this one here). What I am not so sure about the guitar is the bridge pickup (Gibson 500T). It is very hot and I am wondering could I get a bit more "classic" tones with a replacement pickup. I play rock and need distorted sounds and sustain enough for playing solos. If you have experience in replacing 500T - especially in vintage-style Gibson Flying-V - give me some advice please :) I have Duncan 59 on one of my Les Pauls, but for a guitar as bright sounding as Flying-V I believe it is not a very good choice.

Hi! I am proud owner of Gibson Flying-V ´68 reissue (like this one here). What I am not so sure about the guitar is the bridge pickup (Gibson 500T). It is very hot and I am wondering could I get a bit more "classic" tones with a replacement pickup. I play rock and need distorted sounds and sustain enough for playing solos. If you have experience in replacing 500T - especially in vintage-style Gibson Flying-V - give me some advice please :) I have Duncan 59 on one of my Les Pauls, but for a guitar as bright sounding as Flying-V I believe it is not a very good choice.

Hi Brendan; welcome to the forums.

Regarding your pickup replacement; if you want to stick with Gibson-brand pickups - a '57 Classic or '57 Classic Plus will see you right. These are a very good pickup, recommended for many, and will hold their own with drive and distortion applied. Alternatively a Gibson 490T; part of their vintage-modern crossovers; lower output and alnico magnet compared to the high output and ceramic of the 500T; vintage-voiced but with a modern punch.

Vintage voiced also comes with any of the Gibson Burstbucker range.

If non-Gibson; you'd need to look for something with Alnico magnets and similar output levels to one of those mentioned; a good pickup makers' site will tell you what kind of character a particular model has.

Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks for the reply! I have to check in to those Classic-models.

Hi Brendan; welcome to the forums.

Regarding your pickup replacement; if you want to stick with Gibson-brand pickups - a '57 Classic or '57 Classic Plus will see you right. These are a very good pickup, recommended for many, and will hold their own with drive and distortion applied. Alternatively a Gibson 490T; part of their vintage-modern crossovers; lower output and alnico magnet compared to the high output and ceramic of the 500T; vintage-voiced but with a modern punch.

Vintage voiced also comes with any of the Gibson Burstbucker range.

If non-Gibson; you'd need to look for something with Alnico magnets and similar output levels to one of those mentioned; a good pickup makers' site will tell you what kind of character a particular model has.

Hope this helps.

I had the 490R/498T combo in my LPJ,

For me they sounded too hot/harsh.

Swapped them for 57 Classic (neck), and Angus Young Signature (bridge).

I think it's perfect combination.

And the AY can do much more than only AC/DC. Check them out if you can.

Archived