Gibson Brands Forums

Help with dating ES125

Chris57

Hello,

I bought a lovely ES125 recently, the previous owner thought it was a 47. From my research, I believe it's a 49. It's a beautiful guitar. Could some of you Gibson experts kindly confirm the approximate year? Here are the features:

19 frets,

Tapered Headstock,

Adjustable pole pieces on the pickup,

Arch back

Printed on back through top f hole 'ES 125'

Printed on back through bottom f hole '5514 13' (no hyphen)

Thanks very much!

Chris

post-77439-033346700 1457478914_thumb.jpgThanks for the reply, Jim. I was trying to find a search engine to decode the FON, but it was all a bit inconclusive. I'll try and upload a few photos. The guitar plays really well, the only issue with it is the volume pot is dead, up to around the 8 mark, then it comes online. Not sure if I can resolve this with spraying something into it....

post-77439-002449600 1457478864_thumb.jpg

post-77439-082433300 1457478890_thumb.jpg

post-77439-033346700 1457478914_thumb.jpgThanks for the reply, Jim. I was trying to find a search engine to decode the FON, but it was all a bit inconclusive. I'll try and upload a few photos. The guitar plays really well, the only issue with it is the volume pot is dead, up to around the 8 mark, then it comes online. Not sure if I can resolve this with spraying something into it....

Nice example of a 125, Chris. Do you have a decent guitar shop in your area? The volume pot issue may be a very simple fix. It looks like you also might need to consider having some new tuner buttons installed (? it appears that the celluloid is beginning to break down on some of them, which is quite common on guitars of this age).

For serial and factory order number data, I like to use this site: http://www.guitarhq.com/gibson.html#serial

Enjoy that guitar!

Archived