Gibson Brands Forums

Dr-100 cleaning and string change advice?

Mossberg500

Hi all, I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm asking silly questions. My Dr-100 has been sitting in storage waiting to be played and I've come to find that a few strings broke from rough handling, so I intend to change the strings and do a thorough cleaning. After some reading, I have decided that I'll be cleaning most of it by wiping it down and, if necessary, using a moist towel to rub the grime out. What I'm lost about is the fret board that doesn't seem to have a finish on it. I don't know how to go about cleaning and oiling it. I believe it is Mahogany, so I've been doing some searching on Mahogany and haven't found a definitive answer on what type of oil to use. Is mineral oil safe to use? Would I need to buy a specialized oil for it? Is oil necessary in the first place? [confused] I apologize if this has already been covered but I can't seem to find anything about it.

-Dan

...so I intend to change the strings and do a thorough cleaning....

Yes, pull the strings and clean her up, then restring it. I wouldn't be afraid to rub a little car wax onto her, unless you've got guitar wax. Yeah, I use lemon oil on the fretboard. It likes to be moisturized. If it's really dry, then it shrinks a bit and the fret ends (which don't shrink) start to "sprout" out the sides of the board.

What I'm lost about is the fret board that doesn't seem to have a finish on it. I don't know how to go about cleaning and oiling it. I believe it is Mahogany,

Best I can tell is the fretboard is rosewood. I've been using Gerlitz Guitar Honey on my rosewood fretboards for a few years now, and once a year is more than adequate. When it comes to fretboard oiling, Google is your friend, but you'll find arguments for and against most every method and/or material used.

I also believe that all Epi acoustics come factory setup with 12-53's. I've been using D'Addario EXP16 lights for years on all my acoustics (DR100 included).

The 80/20s are good strings and I've used lots of 'em. Martin PB lights last a bit longer for me, but that could be just skin chemistry or local humidity.

I like the 80/20's because they brighten up the tone superbly. It's like night and day compared to regular strings. Obviously if you don't a bright'ish tone, they might not be for you.

• 1 month later...

Archived