Gibson Brands Forums

Help to determine the model of a Les Paul !

fxf6w42

Hello !

I bought today my first Gibson ... but I don't know the exact model it is ! Could you help me please ?

It's a used Gibson Les Paul, Herritage cherry sunburst, but here is some pictures :

http://gallery.mac.com/loebcom/100011

It's a "Standard" Gibson (it is marked on a plate... besides why all the models do not have all this mark ?)

The serial number is 91678412

(Nashville Plant, TN, USA

June 16th, 1998

Production Number: 112)

Thank you very much !

David, from France

its a 1998 les paul standard model

Can you help with this?

Hello,

I need some help with this.

The headstock on top says Gibson

Under that between the tuners for the 2 and 4 strings it says Custom Shop. Between the Custom and Shop

it says in script Les Paul.

At the top of the neck , after the nut, a golden metal plate says in script Les Paul.

The serial number is 02005514. On the back of the headstock, between the tuners, under the serial number is says

MADE IN

USA.

Is this guitar authentic?

What is the model LP?

Is it worth investing some money into?

What year was it made?

I would add pictures if I know how.

Thanks in advance.

George

Coachgeorge, unless you can post pictures of the front and back of the headstock, it is difficult to help you with it. Your description is a bit confusing. I will say that 02005514 would indicate a Gibson USA guitar from 2005. That serial number is not in the format of anything from the Custom Shop(CS) at all. The CS used to do somethings on Gibson USA models, but that ended back in the early to mid 1990's. So from what you are describing it sounds fishy. Rather than take the time to post photos, and reply to this and wait for another reply, there is a much easier way to get information. E-mail Gibson at service@gibson.com or better yet call them at 1-800-4-GIBSON. You can call them toll free from anywhere in the world and they are there 365 days a year 24/7. They can tell you what guitar, if any, the serial number pulls up. I would be seriously suspicious of it saying Custom Shop, but having that serial number format. A lot of the Chinese fakes do that. Also, if you are looking for a guitar to invest in, forget it unless it is part of a very limited run, or a one off custom order that is confirmed by Gibson. Any other Les Paul you buy, will never hit the values of the original 1950's guitars in your lifetime, your kids' lifetime, or even your grandkids' lifetime. The reason is because since mid - late 1969 they have been just one of hundreds of thousands, if not millions made. I did a total once using a reference book, and I think between 1970 and 1980 they had made over 100,000 LP Customs alone. The original 1950's LPs are very rare compared to post 1969 models. There was only something like 1700 sunburst finish Les Pauls made between 1958 and 1960. The Custom Shop turns out close to that number (if not more) of most of the reissues each year. This means that a CS 1958 (for example) reissue Les Paul, is probably going to be 1 of 10's of thousands made. So unless you get one from a very limited run, like the first 25 Jimmy Pages, or a one off, you will never see the fantastic appreciation that the originals have seen.

• Upvote 1

• 11 years later...

Please help me out,

I was in the Marines and stationed on Okinawa in 2010-12. I got a lespaul out of a pawn shop that diddnt have any computers. She whipped out a 1983 gibson sales book to date and price it. I got it for $1,000. i just want to know the date and if any history. I've put it through the ringer and played many many many shows with it. Its going in the coffin with me for sure. thanks for any help.

Semper Fi

SN;92523377

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...