Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V Tuners

Zone

Hi guys,

Has anyone upgraded the tuners on their Flying V to Grovers or anything similar?

I know the locking rotos will fit which I am interested in, but I'm more interested in whether these compared to the Gibson Deluxe Klusons will cause any neck dive etc due to added weight?

It's perfectly balanced at the moment...

Hi guys,

Has anyone upgraded the tuners on their Flying V to Grovers or anything similar?

I know the locking rotos will fit which I am interested in, but I'm more interested in whether these compared to the Gibson Deluxe Klusons will cause any neck dive etc due to added weight?

It's perfectly balanced at the moment...

Hopefully given the relative weight of machine heads; neck dive won't be an issue. Although if you're moving from a vintage Kluson-style to something like a Rotomatic; you've got to be careful that you get something that will fit in the holes without needing to ream them wider to let the new tuners fit - worth noting if you'd ever want to revert. Also; due to the different design; the screw holes might not align and you might have to drill some new ones, and you'd also have some leftover open drillholes where the old tuners would have been (the Roto's won't cover these).

If you're after locking tuners; possibly check out Gotoh SD90 MG-T machine heads from G-Jax; these are Kluson style with a similar locking mechanism found on locking Roto's, and would fit the existing holes of your V without modification, and is easy to reverse.

I have a 79 V that did develop neck dive when Grovers (or something like that) were put on by the previous owner. I had to put Vintage style tuners back on to fix it. I wouldn't change the tuners unless they aren't working. In fact, I never upgrade tuners on any guitar as I find it to be a waste of time and money.

I wouldn't consider that as an upgrade. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and in case it's broke, go with spare parts of identical make.

There's nothing wrong with Gibson Kluson-style Deluxe tuners. Definitely.

I have a 2010 V with the 10mm hex tuners. So I have found many that will fit.

I consider it an upgrade, as I don't like the look of the green keystones, and it's much quicker for me to change strings on the road/at a gig with locking tuners.

It's just a personal preference and I have them on all my other guitars.

I see that many Gibson V cone out with grovers, just haven't heard much about neck dive.

Realistically, if it doesn't have neck dive issues now, it is unlikely to develop them changing tuners.

Usually, it only makes a difference you can tell if it already has some issues, making it worse or not so bad either way by changing tuners, but not enough change of weight there to cause or not cause neck dive.

A change of mass at the peghead will have maximum effect on the balance. The greatest possible length of lever arm is the reason for that. Four Telecasters of mine are the same weight, only one of them came with locking tuners, and she's the only neck-heavy one.

Here are two weight readings of machine heads of mine. The first ones are not exactly what's on your Flying V but have double-ring buttons, so yours may be lighter, making a larger difference.

- Schaller G-Series Keystone DR (double ring), Kluson-style Deluxe tuners, including sleeve nuts, washers and mounting/torque supporting screws: 178 grams

- Grover Rotogrip 502C, Kidney Buttons, including sleeve nuts, washers and mounting/torque supporting screws: 267 grams

Tip: To find out the effect of a heavier peghead on your guitar, hang some weight of 89 grams (circa 3.14 oz) onto the middle of your headstock and compare.

My personal experience with Grover Rotogrip tuners. Three sets of these came stock on three Gibsons of mine made in 2011, 2012 and 2013. These machine heads are nothing but misdesigned and poorly crafted. To make a long story short, they are the worst tuners on all 34 guitars and basses of mine. I hope it's not too late to warn you.

Finally, drilling holes into a headstock may devaluate the instrument forever significantly. I would always go with direct drop-in replacements.

Nothing wrong with original tuners.

If the strings are wound correctly, there should be no slipping.

You can always go with fine tuning on the other end.

Drops right in.

No neck dive.

No issues.

Gibson_TP-6_Tailpiece_Chrome_PTTP-030_5015_a.jpg

I use eight of these, one on every Gibson with stoptail allowing for use.

The TP-6 won't work as a replacement for this kind of classic V tailpieces:

Tailpiece.jpg

I have stock Grovers on my Flying V 120…not impressed. The low E won't stay in tune for long, and I have to tune much more often using the V, whereas the Klusons on my SG Standard are wonderful. The SG can sit for weeks and when I pick it up, minimal tuning needed.

Thanks for the replies.

Again...It has nothing at all to do with tuning issues. It stays in tune perfectly.

I hate the look of the klusons.

And I like the quick string changes when I'm at a gig or on road.

I was just looking for drop in replacements. I have found a few that will drop in with zero mods.

I was interested in hearing what people thought of their grovers because many gibsons ship out with them.

Hi,

For anyone that's interested, I swapped out my tuners.

I went with a Gotoh modern locking tuner as it required no modification at all of the guitar.

That way I can put the original Klusons back on if I ever need to, or re-sell.

That being said, I prefer the Gotoh purely for quick string changes because I'm lazy at a gig or on the road.

I kept the original washers on there though, as the Gotoh were a touch smaller in width.

There is definately a different feel in weight, but there is no neck dive which is great.

Here are links to some photos, took me 10 mins.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/briggschris/IMG_3149_zpsfifmieqk.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/briggschris/IMG_3150_zpsuj5avmya.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/briggschris/IMG_3151_zpsjybg9voz.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/briggschris/IMG_3152_zpshrpavc1h.jpg

Archived