Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 2016 Guitar buzz / hum

kdawg

I have a question in regards to the new 2016 Gibson Standard – hoping someone can help me out.

When I have it plugged in to the amp ......I get a buzz / hum.

But when I touch any metal part on the guitar e.g. strings, bridge, jack etc the noise goes away ?

Its worse when amp up – volume – gain etc. / but even on low volume there is this noise – but as above it goes away when strings touched etc.

Is this normal …….what is going on ……….I just need someone to explain exactly what is happening – any help much appreciated.

I have tried different cables ....different amp (in shop were brought) still buzz / fuzz / hum

I have had mixed responses - from its normal that when i touch the guitar I provide the ground / earth ........to there's something wrong with the guitar earthing / grounding (possible solder ...loose wire).

Any info much appreciated

I have had mixed responses - from its normal that when i touch the guitar I provide the ground / earth ........to there's something wrong with the guitar earthing / grounding (possible solder ...loose wire).

Any info much appreciated

Hello and welcome...

Well yes and yes to those two things... You are the ground which is why it goes away when you touch any metal part... Which means at least its grounded properly... There could always be a loose wire, its worth giving the connections a wiggle and seeing if anything is loose.... And yes some buzz is generally normal... Much much worse with single coil P90s....

There is another question I have. Do you have a 2016 T or HP?

It could also be something in your environment.. Tube lights,dimmer switches fridg motors.. loads of stuff can cause hum.. Try your setup in a different room maybe?

If you have an HP maybe you have the coil split on which would probably buzz more...

Hello and welcome...

Well yes and yes to those two things... You are the ground which is why it goes away when you touch any metal part... Which means at least its grounded properly... There could always be a loose wire, its worth giving the connections a wiggle and seeing if anything is loose.... And yes some buzz is generally normal... Much much worse with single coil P90s....

There is another question I have. Do you have a 2016 T or HP?

It could also be something in your environment.. Tube lights,dimmer switches fridg motors.. loads of stuff can cause hum.. Try your setup in a different room maybe?

If you have an HP maybe you have the coil split on which would probably buzz more...

Its the 2016 Standard T

I have tried at home / in guitar shop / different cables / home amp - shop amp............still a buzz / fuzz there.

Its the 2016 Standard T

I have tried at home / in guitar shop / different cables / home amp - shop amp............still a buzz / fuzz there.

Hmm, not sure then... There is certainly some hum to be expected especially at high volume/gain.... Do you have other guitars? Do you get hum through your set up with those?

I have heard reports of some people shielding the back of the control cover.. Do you play it with your phone in your pocket? That always causes some interference when I do that.

Tried other guitar - but is has EMI pick ups .......no hum through that guitar....using same cable as well (but I think those pick ups are totally different?)

Phone in pocket at shop ..........at home a good meter or two away.

New guitar requiring shielding ? should it not be hum / buzz free ........i just find it odd that it goes when i touch strings or metal parts on guitar - its seems that I am providing the ground ?

New guitar requiring shielding ? should it not be hum / buzz free ........i just find it odd that it goes when i touch strings or metal parts on guitar - its seems that I am providing the ground ?

I guess it depends on what you are used too.. I have always played Gibsons so am used to any noise they make.. Hell, I don't even mind the hum of P90s (which some people hate)...

All I can think of is go to the shop and try a few other Gibsons out.. See what you hear... It could be 60 cycle hum both in the shop and your home, that's not unusual.

And yes, you are providing the ground, that's how its meant to work :)

Im not particularly electronically minded but there are plenty of guys on here who are.. Maybe someone else will chime in.

And yeah you shouldn't need to shield.. Ive never done it before on my Gibsons.. But some people just get very particular about it...

I haven't tried it yet myself, but I have read very good things about shielding paint (ebay has a shed load of listings for it). You just paint this stuff inside all the cavities and the buzz is supposed to go away. Could be worth a shot.

Yes, when you touch the bridge and/or the strings, it is SUPPOSED to be quiet. It means, the guitar is properly grounded.

For single coil guitars, P-90's, Strats and Teles and such that are inherently noisier than hunbuckers, touching the strings will make them quieter, but they will still hum.

So, in other words, guitars being "noisy" or "not noisy" should be judged by how quiet they are when touching the strings.

There is absolutely no reason to try and make a guitar quiet or not hum when not touching the strings, because not only is it impossible, it's not how they are played OR supposed to work.

But when I touch any metal part on the guitar e.g. strings, bridge, jack etc the noise goes away ?

– but as above it goes away when strings touched etc.

Hello and welcome...

Well yes and yes to those two things... You are the ground which is why it goes away when you touch any metal part... Which means at least its grounded properly...

And yes, you are providing the ground, that's how its meant to work :)

So, in other words, guitars being "noisy" or "not noisy" should be judged by how quiet they are when touching the strings.

There is absolutely no reason to try and make a guitar quiet or not hum when not touching the strings, because not only is it impossible, it's not how they are played OR supposed to work.

Read again

Question - all volume down on guitar and amp still humming or fuzzing - tried it tonight what's the go ?

Volume up on amp about number 5 - turn gain up gets worse

So I have a buzzing amp plugged up to new Gibson guitar and volume on guitar is 0

Hum when you are touching the strings, or by itself when you leave it alone?

Volume down on guitar -0 and not touching a thing still buzz from amp

Ok.

Again, judge noise issues on what happens WHILE you are touching the strings. It doesn't really matter what it hums like when you are not touching the strings, and the amp has a standby switch as well when you need to step away and don't want to have your guitar in hand or strapped on. Or turn it down, or even off.

Noise like that is common in all things guitar AND amps. Doesn't mean anything is wrong.

I could go on and on about causes, fixes, but it really is chasing your tail if there isn't a problem in the first place. It's an interesting subject to me, but I refrain from getting to deep, cause it would more likely just confuse you and have you trying to solve problems you don't have, for no gain.

• 8 months later...

Archived