Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Top hat knobs question!

Wulf

Hi All, I wonder if you can help me?

I own a Slash signature Gibson Les paul limited production VOS Tobacco Sunburst guitar with piezo. Recently one of the volume top hat knobs has cracked and is ready to fall into pieces. I ordered what I thought to be the correct replacement knobs from Gibson, although they are not the same. I ordered Gibson top hat guitar knobs vintage amber PRHK-030. There are quite a few details that differ. Are the original top hat knobs a different model, or is it just different manufacturing specs now?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!

... I ordered what I thought to be the correct replacement knobs from Gibson, although they are not the same. I ordered Gibson top hat guitar knobs vintage amber PRHK-030. There are quite a few details that differ. Are the original top hat knobs a different model, or is it just different manufacturing specs now?

Been there, done that, it has been the same in 2012 and 2013. I don't know why, but except for Speed Knobs all the "original" spare knobs are wrong, definitely all of them. <_< Until now I couldn't find out why. [confused]

A written description and photos of the differences would be helpful.

Hi L5Larry,

The differences are as follows:

Own my original Top hat knob, the increment numbers are in a slightly different style and smaller. The colour on originals is more Amber, while the replacements are Amber but with a red tinge! There are also some dimension differences when looking from the side!

Thanks for your help!

Been there, done that, it has been the same in 2012 and 2013. I don't know why, but except for Speed Knobs all the "original" spare knobs are wrong, definitely all of them. <_< Until now I couldn't find out why. [confused]

Thanks for the info Capmaster, not looking good! Something so simple and small yet hard to solve!

I have a few black ones, form my SG Classic (2006 build year) but, I guess that's not the color you're going for

Thanks for the offer Kidblast, the ones I am after are Amber translucent!

Archived