Gibson Brands Forums

Jack problems on my 2015 Firebird

Blasterbird

I have a 2015 Firebird and the jack shorts out with pressure on the cord plug. I have taken it back to GC twice and they said its fixed, but it is not. I called Gibson and said I think the rout might be too wide and they said impossible because it is done on a CNC machine. Since it is a side Jack like a LP, I think it needs an LP style Jack plate, but putting one in will lower the value. Any suggestions

If it worked at GC twice and not with you, very possible it's the cord or cords giving problems and not the jack.

In any case, jacks go bad because they become loose not from the guitar, but from the jack itself and it's parts getting loose. They are pressed together, almost like a rivet. Even if they are literally dangling from the guitar, they won't not work right unless they are bad.

Other than that, don't know how to help without seeing it or knowing more.

IF in fact you confirm your cords are not the problem, and you still can't figure it out or get some ideas here, suggest taking it to a COMPETENT luthier or tech who can look at it in person, and knows what they are doing.

Sounds to me like it could be the old metric vs imperial measure problem. Most imported guitar cable have jacks on them which are the metric equivalent to 1/4" diameter, which is a little smaller. I have seen problems with the mating between the two.

I would suspect a cable with a REAL 1/4" plugs on it will solve your problem, as I'm ASSUMING Gibson USA would be using a REAL 1/4" jacks.

Sounds to me like it could be the old metric vs imperial measure problem. Most imported guitar cable have jacks on them which are the metric equivalent to 1/4" diameter, which is a little smaller. I have seen problems with the mating between the two.

I would suspect a cable with a REAL 1/4" plugs on it will solve your problem, as I'm ASSUMING Gibson USA would be using a REAL 1/4" jacks.

The are Fender cables. I think Gibson was smart to move the jack back on top for 2016. Been playing 35 years, I think it's a bad Jack and nobody wants to take responsibility, but then again, bad service aside, I still keep buying guitars at GC.

Archived