Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 68 ES345 - Strap Buttons question

MatF

Hi,

New to this forum but hoping someone can help.

I just picked up a walnut 68 ES345 [biggrin] which had been under a bed for 5+ years, so going over it giving it a clean and prep getting ready for a final set up.

Prior to that, my techie is going to reseat some of the parallelogram inlays which have popped (hoping he can fast track the job so I can get her going quicker).

Sorry long back story to my question.

The strap buttons have been changed out at some point for strap locks [thumbdn] so I would like to put the original style back. Were these buttons gold plated as per the rest of the hardware or brass?

Also any idea who may have a set of 60's strap buttons for sale.

... so I would like to put the original style back. Were these buttons gold plated as per the rest of the hardware or brass?

Also any idea who may have a set of 60's strap buttons for sale.

They were gold plated. You can pick up a new pair anywhere (about $5), no need to pay for "vintage", as the style and design has never changed.

http://store.gibson.com/strap-buttons-2-pkg/

In fact, Gibson and Fender used/uses the same buttons. So if you can find "Fender" at your local shop, don't be discouraged by the name on the blister card, they probably buy them from the same "vendor".

Might consider though, keeping the straplocks if you intend to play it standing up with a strap.

It isn't really original anyway in that regard, as the original strap buttons aren't there anymore. You aren't loosing or gaining "originality" or value either way.

I mean, hey man, a '68 ES-345 is NOT something you want to drop, and you sure want to play it!

Might consider though, keeping the straplocks if you intend to play it standing up with a strap.

It isn't really original anyway in that regard, as the original strap buttons aren't there anymore. You aren't loosing or gaining "originality" or value either way.

I mean, hey man, a '68 ES-345 is NOT something you want to drop, and you sure want to play it!

^-- This.... +1

I wonder if you have the date right, as walnut became available in 1969. Gibson's serial numbering system was wacky back then...

Is that also a transition year for the nut width?

I just saw what was labeled for sale as a '69 with what looked like the wider nut.

Hi All,

As accurate as the online dater can be, it gives 1968 as the build date so I am guessing it was late 68 or early 69 and one of the first walnut 345.

The gold plating on all the hardware has basically worn off so I think I'll go with a set of beat up aluminium buttons without gold to be consistent with the rest of the hardware.

I hear you about the strap locks. I always use the Dunlop disks which work well and allow me to use a standard strap and strap buttons.

Cheers,

Mat

Mat, can you post the serial number? If you'd rather not do that, here are a few questions. Is the label orange, or purple&white? Is there a volute? Any "Made In USA" stamp on the back of the peghead?

Hi Jim,

The serial number is 88426X.

No volute and no made in USA stamp which would mean pre 70 on my understanding.

The guitars not here presently but I recall it having an orange label.

Cheers,

Mat

Hi Jim,

The serial number is 88426X.

No volute and no made in USA stamp which would mean pre 70 on my understanding.

The guitars not here presently but I recall it having an orange label.

Cheers,

Mat

Thanks Mat. That's a bit weird... 88426X would indicate 1967, according to the list I've always used (which normally gives multiple year possibilities for numbers that got duplicated).

Archived