Gibson Brands Forums

What model is this 1970-72 Gibson acoustic???

I've had this for years, but I don't know exactly what model it is. I'm hoping the experts here can help me out. My best guess right now is that it was a J-50 but I can't be sure. If it ever had a label in the sound-hole it is long gone. It was in a useless state when I got it - the top was cracked and separated from the sides on the lower bout. It looked like it could be flipped open like the lid of a toy box. Everything is very stable now and it sounds great, i just wish I knew what it was.

I've been trying to narrowing it down based on some of the features (unfinished headstock and the head/neck volute) and the parts (bridge, tuners, pickguard) but those may have been swapped out at some point. There are extra tuner mounting holes and these tuners have a little black paint on them. I haven't seen this particular bridge on any Gibson.

The serial # is 639739 which seems like it dates it as a 1970-1972 from what I can tell.

Any info is appreciated!post-77661-088406600 1458235505_thumb.png

Almost certainly a 1970-'72 J-50. Tuners have been replaced, and bridge appears non-original as well. Everything else looks "stock" and correct. Looks to be in nice condition

Can't pin it down any closer than that, as serial numbers are non-definitive in this period.

Almost certainly a 1970-'72 J-50. Tuners have been replaced, and bridge appears non-original as well. Everything else looks "stock" and correct. Looks to be in nice condition

Can't pin it down any closer than that, as serial numbers are non-definitive in this period.

Thanks for the info! I was thinking J-50 but the black binding on mine threw me off. I've seen most of them with white binding (and a couple with tortoise shell). There is a 1972 J-50 on Reverb right now that seems to be identical with the exception of the pickguard and bridge (but those are probably not original like you said).

Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it.

Archived