Gibson Brands Forums

What's for breakfast,lunch, or dinner?

Mr. Gibson

This evening I had rare slow-roasted peppered beef with carrots, roast spuds and parsnips, mustard gravy and horseradish sauce. Yum.

Drinking HBB brewery 'London's Outback' ale (4.5%). Cheers.

Tomorrow morning I'll be putting blueberries on my tropical fruits oat crunch and toasting 2 slices home-baked bread.

Then later making soup and/or gravy out of 1kg (kilogram, 2.2lb) of shallots, eating some and freezing the rest.

[thumbup]

• Upvote 1

Dunno about lunch yet but tonight I was planning to do some chicken rolls, cheese and bacon. That is thinly cut/pounded chicken breast wrapped around a block of vintage cheddar and all wrapped with a nice smokey bacon. (Bit of spray oil and cooked on a grill or in a pan. Do not overcook!)

Probably cut some small potatoes in half and sauté them and accompany with a whole cob of super sweet corn. Usually a BBQ dish but gonna be a bit inclement outside tonight. Maybe a thin gravy with a slightly apricot mustardy flavour?

I did a large Rib Eye on the BBQ last night as I was on my own and it was to die for!

Lunch we had steak with a baked potato compliments of her aunt who thought she was defrosting two pork chops, then gave them to my wife. Then for dinner I had homemade beef stew, corn bread and a watergate pistachio salad. Then an Artic Rush Float from Dairy Queen for desert. I am so stuffed. Think she thought I wasn't eating to well.msp_crying.gif

"watergate pistachio salad"

Why "Watergate"?

Full of bugs?

Forgot to say I had muesli with sliced banana with apple juice instead of milk, for breakfast.

Tomorrow (Saturday) brekkie is an egg & bacon roll!

With all the food allergies/intolerance I've developed meals are getting very complex and not as much fun.

Breakfast this AM:

Cream of Rice hot cereal w/ dairy free margarine, honey, raisins, & toasted pecan bits, MSG free pork sausage, & multi-grain gluten free toast with blackberry jam. Sometimes throw in a scramble egg cooked in coconut oil.

Finally found a hot cereal that, believe it or not doctored up, really tastes good. [biggrin]

Biggest challenge is finding GOOD tasting/texture Gluten free bread. Finally found some but you pay dearly for a loaf. Oh well, one slice in the AM for Bfast isn't going to break me and I gotta eat something.

Aster

Lunch we had steak with a baked potato compliments of her aunt who thought she was defrosting two pork chops, then gave them to my wife. Then for dinner I had homemade beef stew, corn bread and a watergate pistachio salad. Then an Artic Rush Float from Dairy Queen for desert. I am so stuffed. Think she thought I wasn't eating to well.msp_crying.gif

What's in a artic rush float? I ❤️DQ strawberry blizzards.

They're building a Dairy Queen in my hometown as we speak. Can't wait :wub:

1458273230[/url]' post='1752436']

"watergate pistachio salad"

Why "Watergate"?

Full of bugs?

Forgot to say I had muesli with sliced banana with apple juice instead of milk, for breakfast.

Tomorrow (Saturday) brekkie is an egg & bacon roll!

No idea why they call it that. It's pistachio pudding mixed with cool whip, marshmallows and pineapple and very good tasting. More of a desert actually. Over here though, they have it with described above and its green with Pistachio, or they have it in cherry, but they call them Watergate salads.

1458324095[/url]' post='1752606']

What's in a artic rush float? I ❤️DQ strawberry blizzards.

They're building a Dairy Queen in my hometown as we speak. Can't wait :wub:

Not sure what is in the slush but they tell me it's mostly sugar. But it's a frozen slush and they put vanilla ice cream in the middle. Dairy Queen used to make them and they called it a Mister Misty Float. Then they quit. Now they just make the slush, and call it an Artic Rush. So the one close by us, after I described to them what they used to make, makes it for me. They said it is actually a Artic Rush Float, and they usually blend the slush and ice cream together. But for me they don't blend them and you can eat it with a spoon and straw. You can get them in any flavor, but it's a desert you eat slow as those ice cream headaches come very quick!

Interesting reading this actually and it seems that I don't have big lunches by comparison to some of you.

I usually have a toasted sandwich or roll followed by an apple. Sometimes it might be reheated leftovers from earlier on, but not much really.

I'm trying to cut back on the size of meals that I have as I was eating too much and that requires more insulin to counteract, then insulin is fattening, so a vicious circle.

Cutting back allows me to reduce insulin too,

I never have dessert!

Since the subject of fast food came up, thought I'd go ahead and mention yesterday and the day before was McDonalds. They're open late.

We have a Dairy Queen here too, gave them a shot a while back, but man, they were spendy. Fast food prices here in Portland Or are going up quite a bit. Surely has to do with the Unaffordable Care Act and the minimum wage stuff. As far as that goes, I'm all for the workers getting more, and kinda willing to accept the cost on the driver's side window, but to be honest, might have to back off the fast food, as it's really getting to be a different kind of deal for me when the cost reaches a certain point.

Having said that, I recently have been learning to cook lobster. I wouldn't say I'm particularly good at it, but MAN lobster is TASTY. I get tails for about 10 bucks a piece around here lately. Back it up with some frozen shrimp, and it's a seafood feast!

The beauty of it is, being frozen, don't have to depend on my lazy self to be sure to cook them before they expire. I waste more money that way.

With all the food allergies/intolerance I've developed meals are getting very complex and not as much fun.

Breakfast this AM:

Cream of Rice hot cereal w/ dairy free margarine, honey, raisins, & toasted pecan bits, MSG free pork sausage, & multi-grain gluten free toast with blackberry jam. Sometimes throw in a scramble egg cooked in coconut oil.

Finally found a hot cereal that, believe it or not doctored up, really tastes good. [biggrin]

Biggest challenge is finding GOOD tasting/texture Gluten free bread. Finally found some but you pay dearly for a loaf. Oh well, one slice in the AM for Bfast isn't going to break me and I gotta eat something.

Aster

I didn't know you had these problems "A", do you a coeliac condition?

I have a couple of friends that do, one of them my best mate and I see his struggle with finding things he likes to eat. I try hard to match what he's eating as I can't stand the thought of eating something he can't have in front of him. I understand about the gluten free bread and how hard it is to get something palatable and how expensive it is as I've followed the problem with Dave.

I guess as we age there is more propensity for health problems. When we were younger these things would probably never have occurred to us, nor would we have realised how fragile our health can be.

However, there is only one way to go and that is forward!

Do you see yourself being able to back of work a bit, anytime soon?

1458329262[/url]' post='1752651']

Interesting reading this actually and it seems that I don't have big lunches by comparison to some of you.

I usually have a toasted sandwich or roll followed by an apple. Sometimes it might be reheated leftovers from earlier on, but not much really.

I'm trying to cut back on the size of meals that I have as I was eating too much and that requires more insulin to counteract, then insulin is fattening, so a vicious circle.

Cutting back allows me to reduce insulin too,

I never have dessert!

We redesigned our schedule after we retired. When I was working I always ate breakfast, lunch and dinner. But that was too much when I retired so now, I don't eat breakfast at all. I'll have a cup of tea or coffee, maybe a banana once in awhile but then eat a brunch as we call it. Anywhere from 10:30 to 11:30 we eat a big lunch and that is filling till around 5:00 ish, and then we have a lighter dinner. Maybe a sandwhich or something, so we're actually turning lunch into dinner and dinner into lunch. That way we have less before bedtime in our stomach and keep our weight the same everyday with more energy through the day. I just figure everyone has to do what works best for them. But that Dairy Queen is rare for us, and we hardly ever do deserts.

I didn't know you had these problems "A", do you a coeliac condition?

I have a couple of friends that do, one of them my best mate and I see his struggle with finding things he likes to eat. I try hard to match what he's eating as I can't stand the thought of eating something he can't have in front of him. I understand about the gluten free bread and how hard it is to get something palatable and how expensive it is as I've followed the problem with Dave.

I guess as we age there is more propensity for health problems. When we were younger these things would probably never have occurred to us, nor would we have realized how fragile our health can be.

However, there is only one way to go and that is forward!

Do you see yourself being able to back of work a bit, anytime soon?

No Celiacs (coeliac) disease but the G.I. Doc. (I have lots of great clients that are Dr's) believes it's Gluten Intolerance and you can react more violently to that with gluten intake that even Celiacs. Celiac disease is potentially life threatening and the Intolerance just makes you really sick & fast too. Like you were all beat up by a gorilla.

Seems like I haven't been able to cut back with work. I must not be getting a much done in an hour as I use to so I'm still piling on the work hours in a week. Been blessed with lots of projects & work for the last year. In a year or two we'll be even with what I lost in the glut of 2008-2011. Oh well, it's only $$ (and I guess my retirement too [cursing]) What's a mother to do? [biggrin]

Aster

No Celiacs (coeliac) disease but the G.I. Doc. (I have lots of great clients that are Dr's) believes it's Gluten Intolerance and you can react more violently to that with gluten intake that even Celiacs. Celiac disease is potentially life threatening and the Intolerance just makes you really sick & fast too. Like you were all beat up by a gorilla.

Aster

That's no good but I am finding it hard imagining being beaten up by a Gorilla!!

A Wombat yes~

1458338706[/url]' post='1752709']

I'm sure I read this wrong the first time.... [smile]

Ha, I didn't proof read it. I typed in at Panera Bread but doesn't seem it took "at." That's a problem I have with this computer. It always delets stuff I type or changes the spelling to make it say what it wants. But no, we didn't eat the Panera Bread store. Lolmsp_flapper.gif