Gibson Brands Forums

What's for breakfast,lunch, or dinner?

Mr. Gibson

Anyone ever eat squirrel?

I dont recommend it because you could get leprasy but just wondering.

I heard they do this in Tennessee.

Goldtop2: don't quote me on it, but is there much leprosy in squirrels? Never heard of a single case. Can they even carry leprosy...?

Disclaimer, I'm not sure, so don't blame me if you get leprosy from eating squirrel.

It's not so much the disclaimer as that I had to type the sentence above. I'm fairly confident that "don't blame me if you get leprosy from eating squirrel" has never been typed, uttered, or even smoke-signalled before, ever.

I ate squirrel stew once. My father was overrun with squirrels at his lake house so he asked me to come up and shoot some. My wife and I did the next weekend. I brought the same .22LR Marlin rifle that my dad gave me when I was 10 years old. My first real gun. I brought it for sentimental reasons. Anyway, I shot five nice big ones and I don't hunt just to kill so I insisted that we eat them for dinner. My wife was the daughter of a Vet and hunter so she knew just how to gut and skin them. My step-mother is an excellent cook who has cooked all types of wildlife before so between the two of them they whipped up a squirrel stew. Honestly, it was not very good, and I am being kind here. That was the one and only time that I ate squirrel and none of us developed leprosy either. That being said, squirrel may be delicious if it is cooked differently.

Thanks, they had me see a dietician and my wife and I being both on the same thing listened and went hog wild on this. So she explained that one half of the plate should be vegetables and those are free like lettuce, spinach, brockly, celery, carrots and so on, 1/4th of the plate should be meats and that weighed out to 3-4 oz of carbs so it's like fist size. And 1/4th of the plate should be grains, whole wheat grain is the best, white bread they say is bad for you, same with white rice and pasta. Use whole wheat grain. So that's what we're both on. We were used to eating out all the time and were shocked how bad those foods are. I have to get my cholesterol levels down. Today we tried a turkey hamburger and it wasn't really that bad at all. I put seasoning on it, garlic salt and hamburger seasoning and grilled it outside and added a tablespoon of barbecue sauce and a slice of cheddar cheese and onion with lettuce for lunch. Deb added a scoop of potato salad on the side with fruit. Then vegetable soup. Very good.

That sounds like a good way to watch what you eat. Calorie and carb counting can become very tedious. I eat turkey or veggie (garden) burgers all the time. To me, they are very tasty on the grill.

I heard about Hank Williams Jr now I quote him on this one

"Ill catch catfish from dusk till dawn"?

"A country boy can survive"?

Now they dont recommend wild catfish however ive heard people pull cat fish out of the channel and enjoy a big fry with a little Old Bay.

A couple issues here and questions

Exactly what can you get?

Now the bible recommends only fish with scales and everything else detestable?

A little homemade wine too?

1503565534[/url]' post='1877036']

Anyone ever eat squirrel?

I dont recommend it because you could get leprasy but just wondering.

I heard they do this in Tennessee.

Way back decades ago when I worked at Union Pacific Railroad we had a. Christmas lunch where everyone brought in their menu to share. One guy brought in small varmit kill he made up in a barbecue. Supposedly it was a mixture of squirrel, rabbit and other small game. Of course it had barbecue sauce in it too but it was actually very good. Today we tried something different to change up the menu. Whole wheat pasta, low carb at lunch with a salad and the wife found out how to make a small pizza with turkey pepperoni which was very good. Had 2 slices and a Apple. Eggs and hash browns for breakfast.

Love chicken pot pie! Very good. Today I had oatmeal for breakfast, a very small steak, 4 grams carbs. with a vegetable soup and grapes for lunch and wheat pasta with a salad for dinner.

Man that sounds good. I wish I had someone to help me eat like that. I am disabled and in a wheelchair most of the time and have my hands full trying to care for my 30 year old autistic son by myself. Everything I eat comes from the freezer or pizza delivery. msp_unsure.gif

1504071905[/url]' post='1878254']

Man that sounds good. I wish I had someone to help me eat like that. I am disabled and in a wheelchair most of the time and have my hands full trying to care for my 30 year old autistic son by myself. Everything I eat comes from the freezer or pizza delivery. msp_unsure.gif

So sorry to hear about that, I didn't know you were handicapped either. Truth is, I absolutely love eating out all the time. Love Mexican, Italian, Oriental and American foods. But that got my cholesterol up real high and since heart problems and strokes run in the family the doctor told me to lose 15 lbs. So I changed my diet to what they call a Mediterranean diet and eat smaller portions and less then 60 carbs per meal 3 times per day. I have a fast metabolism which helps and with lots of excersize I've lost 13.4 lbs in 17 days so far. So I have another 3.1 lbs to go before my next appointment in September. I may go further down to 190. They told me to ignore the sugar levels on the ingredient labels because Carbs and sugars were the same thing. So all I have to do is measure out all the carbs. Salads don't have any unless you add dressings and croutons and such and you can add chicken or fruits like strawberries to your salads. That's what I've been doing. I may stay on this diet the rest of my life as theirs lots of great tasting stuff you can eat. Deb tells me to award myself with a tasty meal like La Casa Pizza once in awhile when I hit goals but in smaller portions. Take care Marky.

So sorry to hear about that, I didn't know you were handicapped either. Truth is, I absolutely love eating out all the time. Love Mexican, Italian, Oriental and American foods. But that got my cholesterol up real high and since heart problems and strokes run in the family the doctor told me to lose 15 lbs. So I changed my diet to what they call a Mediterranean diet and eat smaller portions and less then 60 carbs per meal 3 times per day. I have a fast metabolism which helps and with lots of excersize I've lost 13.4 lbs in 17 days so far. So I have another 3.1 lbs to go before my next appointment in September. I may go further down to 190. They told me to ignore the sugar levels on the ingredient labels because Carbs and sugars were the same thing. So all I have to do is measure out all the carbs. Salads don't have any unless you add dressings and croutons and such and you can add chicken or fruits like strawberries to your salads. That's what I've been doing. I may stay on this diet the rest of my life as theirs lots of great tasting stuff you can eat. Deb tells me to award myself with a tasty meal like La Casa Pizza once in awhile when I hit goals but in smaller portions. Take care Marky.

Wow you lost 13.4 lbs in 17 days! That's awesome. My doc told me to eat less than 200 carbs per day and concentrate on that too. I agree with Deb that periodic rewards are nice but if you don't really want it, skip it. You're doing great! msp_thumbup.gif

• Upvote 1

Oatmeal with blueberries and half of a peach for breakfast. We took Grayson to a railroad museum and did a lot of walking so that meal didn't hold me over too well. Lunch Deb made us a tasty chicken wrap and I made us two salads and had an apple. Dinner was great, she made her famous vegetable soup and a half of a bell pepper stuffed with brown rice, hamburger and Newmans garden spaghetti sauce mixed in. Yeah, another thing Marky: I'm supposed to eat close to 60 carbs per meal, 3 times a day but I rarely do. Seems I get average about 40 to 45 grams per meal or less. So I might snack in between as I can do another 15 grams carbs. Problem is we went to this new health food grocery store by us and we hand pick out our grocery list of 0 cholesterol on every thing we can find or very low if we can't find 0 and the lowest to 0 carbs on things too. Deb found a salad dressing that's tasty with 0 carbs and I found 2 dressings with just 2 carbs per 2 tablespoons.