Gibson Brands Forums

Loose tone knob

Arby

I have a 1981 ES-175 with a loose tone knob. It's a witch hat knob, and apparently the inside has worn just enough to make it slide off rather easily. I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix the problem. It still fits snugly, but it's not tight enough to keep it in place. I thought about using a small dab of plumber's putty, as it would remain pliable to allow the knob to be removed if needed. But I'm not sure if there's a better solution (or if there's a reason I shouldn't use putty). Any ideas?

If it's a split-shaft pot, carefully spread it open a little. If it's a solid shaft pot, give it a few wraps of Teflon tape (also a plumbing product), or a single wrap of electrical tape.

Yup. Larry's got the positive attitude. It'll get you by for a while if it starts out snug. Along with the plumbers tape, if you can confirm that the knob underside actually contacts the top of the stem when pushed in all the way a dab of Crazy Glue on top will help the tape job endure.

Larry, thanks for the tip...the teflon tape works like a charm! I had thought of using tape of some sort, but the knob still fit snugly enough that most kinds of tape would be too thick. Didn't occur to me to use teflon tape--perfect! It's not a split shaft, by the way.

Jedzep, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I want to be able to remove the knob if I ever need to work on the electronics so I don't want to use glue.

Thanks again for the replies, guys. I look forward to hanging around this forum!

Archived