Gibson Brands Forums

Cleaning recommendations for my brand new Sheraton II-PRO?

Leone

hi everyone, I was wondering if you can recommend a good quality cleaning solution to clean my Sheraton II-PRO. I always take care of my equipment. I'll play, tune, clean and always put my guitars back in the case.

I'm looking for a product to clean my fretboard (when it gets dirty) as well as the neck, body and finish of the guitar. Can anyone recommend a product or two that is reputable?

I used to use Dr Ducks Axe Wax.... It was some sort of petroleum distillate based. I used it on my guild d40 acoustic. I can't seem to find that one anymore, so I question its formulation.

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on the Sherry! nice guitars, I love mine,

here's a few suggestions:

Gerlitz Smudge Off, water based safe for everything, even the hardware. Spray on a clean cotton cloth and wipe down the finsih.

Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish Excellent stuff, a bit on the pricey side, but a little bit goes a long way. You don't use a lot, so they will last a while.

Gibson Pump Polish the Defacto standard for many years for any finish. Lasts a real long time too.

Guitar Honey This is a Fretboard Conditioner that will re-hydrate rosewood and safe for ebony and torrified (eg: baked) maple too.

To use the Honey, spray some on a clean rag, and rub on the fretboard, (take a bit of care to not get any on the finish at the neck joint. It wont harm it, but it takes some elbow grease to remove) let is sit for a few minutes, then take a second clean rag and rub down again. The rags will get very grimy, I use a few pieces of a cotton T-shirt (cut about 6x6") that's headed for the cleaning rag bin, to apply and rub off.

Don't use the same cloth you will clean and polish the finish with. Generally use it about twice a year during a string change. You can also use the rag with your finger nail and wipe the gunk away from the fret edges, you'll be amazed how much gunk will collect there.

if you have a dry fretboard, you'll immediately see the luster of the rosewood grain return.

Best thing I found is Old English with Almond oil furniture polish. Good stuff. I also use it on the motorcycle, chrome and all... gives a deep glossy shine. On the guitar, I spray the fret board and let it soak in about 5 minutes.... the body does not need too.

• 2 weeks later...

Behlens makes a fingerboard oil specifically for guitars. Stewmac, or any hardwood specialty shop will have it. Avoid lemon oil, Pledge, or Old English products around a nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Interestingly, the Teak family of hardwood trees includes Mahogany, Rosewood, Ebony, and Teak. Thus any good quality teakwood oil will work, just use it sparingly during a string change and allow it to soak in before buffing the fingerboard to a shine.

Another great product especially for lacquer finishes is Guardsman furniture polish. I actually prefer the Gibson polish because it does such a good job, and smells great too. I bought an extra bottle of it for my wife to do all of our maple and cherry wood furniture, she loves the stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Goat milk mixed with lemon oil.

5 drops of goat milk to 2 table spoons of lemon oil. (Must be pure lemon oil).

I was taught this in Germany by an old violin maker. Been using it since 1984.

Archived