Gibson Brands Forums

WTB: Epiphone Riviera 1980-84 MIJ Wine Red

Madferit1996

Looking to buy one of the early 80s Epi Rivieras, made in Matsumoku, Japan, in the wine red finish preferably, with the stopbar tailpiece. If you have one for sale, please send me a PM! I am based in UK and can travel to collect if necessary.

Hi,

How strange. I bought the very same one last night on eBay UK.

It is.

I'm not sure who it belonged to..

Oasis approached me 20 years ago (through Johnny Roadhouse Music in Manchester) to buy one of my two Epiphone Riviera s but I decided to keep it. Then made a mistake and sold one locally..!

I'm not aware if Noel had a WR or a AS colour..

I've got one of those in Antique Sunburst. I bought it in 1983 as a backup for my ES335 and gigged with it for 20 years. The only 'mod' I ever did was to change the control knobs (kept the ugly 'witch hat' originals of course). I preferred it to the 335 so I eventually sold the Gibson to fund a Telecaster purchase and kept the Riviera. The Riviera wasn't 'better' than the Gibson, it just sounded different and I preferred the sound and the neck shape (other opinions are available). It hasn't had much use in the past ten years but the average £750.00 to £850.00 selling price wouldn't get me anything much, if any, better. I'd consider doing some sort of trade for an Epiphone Emperor of the same period ('83 - '85) but they seem rarer than the proverbial rocking horse ****.

Riviera_small.jpg

I've got one of those in Antique Sunburst. I bought it in 1983 as a backup for my ES335 and gigged with it for 20 years. The only 'mod' I ever did was to change the control knobs (kept the ugly 'witch hat' originals of course). I preferred it to the 335 so I eventually sold the Gibson to fund a Telecaster purchase and kept the Riviera. The Riviera wasn't 'better' than the Gibson, it just sounded different and I preferred the sound and the neck shape (other opinions are available). It hasn't had much use in the past ten years but the average £750.00 to £850.00 selling price wouldn't get me anything much, if any, better. I'd consider doing some sort of trade for an Epiphone Emperor of the same period ('83 - '85) but they seem rarer than the proverbial rocking horse ****.

Riviera_small.jpg

Great!

Where did you get those gold control knobs?

I also have the same one and like yourself, I prefer the Riviera to my ES335.

It feels better, I love the sound of the Maxon pick-ups and the fat neck! ;-)

Yves

I got the control knobs from Rokas in Denmark Street but they've been gone for a good while now. You can get similar from Axesrus for £6.00 a set http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Gibson-Style-s/1941.htm They're the 'Top Hat' type. I would have probably been just as happy with the 'Bell' type, but I expect I bought what Rokas had in stock at the time. It was a long time ago.

It is.

I'm not sure who it belonged to..

Oasis approached me 20 years ago (through Johnny Roadhouse Music in Manchester) to buy one of my two Epiphone Riviera s but I decided to keep it. Then made a mistake and sold one locally..!

I'm not aware if Noel had a WR or a AS colour..

WR

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived