Gibson Brands Forums

nut filing

Nut files:

I was thinking of getting some. The ones that look good are Goldo (Thomann link)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/goeldo_double_edge_nut_file.htm?ref=search_rslt_nut+files_315672_1

and stewmac

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Files/Double-edge_Nut_Files.html

All cheaper ones I looked at seemed nasty & unfit for purpose (amazon).

Now I would rather not spend a lot (and these are expensive) as I will likely seldom use them.

So it occurred to me to use emery paper wrapped around feeler gauges to do this job instead.

What do you luthiers think about that? Ok, or bad idea?

Hello!

You can't go wrong with Stew-Mac.

However, if You are not a luthier or tech, - who is performing such tasks on daily basis -, it is unnecessary to purchase these expensive files.

You can easily make Your own files that are fit for minor adjustment. Wrap a strip of 800-grit sanding paper around a thin piece of sheet metal (feeler gauges for example). You might secure it with a drop of superglue.

Another trick is, to super-glue a piece of used string to a wooden stick. Then, You know it's exact size.

Bence

Hehe. Sorry.

Somehow, I skipped this: "So it occurred to me to use emery paper wrapped around feeler gauges to do this job instead. What do you luthiers think about that? Ok, or bad idea?"

Yes, it is OK. But be aware of the overall thickness.

Bence.

I use torch tip cleaners from the local Harbor Freight. They come in plenty of sizes, all in a nice kit, only a few bucks for the entire set and hold up well enough to deepen slots. I have some of the stewmac files (and they are expensive) in a couple of the smaller sizes that I use for laying out the slots on a new nut and then finish with the tip cleaners. I actually like the profile that the tip cleaners leave, nice and round. Not sure what the UK version of Harbor Freight, or what is available but any hardware store should be able to get them. If not maybe a welding supply store.

I never would have thought of that one aliasphbias. Cheers.

And Bence. Thank you very much for the endorsement. That is just what I will do.

(Not sure what you meant about the string though? I imagine it has to do with gap sizing?)

cheers guys

-evans

One word of caution.....

The worst thing you can do, whatever tool you use, is file the nut too deep. To avoid this I stack up layers of card stock on the fretboard to the height I want to cut the nut depth to. Throw a piece of masking tape over the stack and tape it down around the neck.

This gives you a physical stopping point in depth, so you can concentrate on filing the proper width.

Also protect the face of the headstock with a piece of cardboard or shop towel (or both), so you don't gouge it.

Both these pieces of advice come from personal experience, if you know what I mean!!!!!

Hello Evans.

It's something I learnt from Dan Erlewine's book. Glue a piece of wound guitar string on a stick. It's a cheap and precise smooth file for the job.

Bence.

I'm going to own up here, because its funny. I didnt realise you were speaking about a guitar string! [biggrin]

Its a great idea though.

One word of caution.....

The worst thing you can do, whatever tool you use, is file the nut too deep. To avoid this I stack up layers of card stock on the fretboard to the height I want to cut the nut depth to. Throw a piece of masking tape over the stack and tape it down around the neck.

This gives you a physical stopping point in depth, so you can concentrate on filing the proper width.

Also protect the face of the headstock with a piece of cardboard or shop towel (or both), so you don't gouge it.

Both these pieces of advice come from personal experience, if you know what I mean!!!!!

I can tell. I'm going to do exactly that come Saturday. I have many superfine grades of emery and a spare feeler gauge. I will take it slow & take as long as it takes. Cheers Larry.

If you know someone who works in a machine shop, buy a cheap feeler gage set and have them wirecut saw teeth for you.

Works very well.

I cut the teeth so I have to pull the blade towards me.

IMG_0404_zps1f938b10.jpg

IMG_0402_zps9ee7ff9c.jpg

Archived