Gibson Brands Forums

Already looking to 2017 for better SG model year

norcalpiper

Gibson absolutely turned the failire of the gforce on all models in 2015 into success by making a split model T & HP for 2016. Unfortunately the SG didn't have a stellar choice selection as in the past this year, so I'm already looking forward to 2017 for an expanded range.

One thing I'm REALLY hoping for is a return of an SG junior with one pickup. Or even a release SG CM with a zebra '61 like is offered in the LP range.

J&W here in Sacramento have a 2008 standard which the completely stripped and redid as a gold top. Creme accents, pickguard etc.. they also have an epiphone SG 50th anniversary with lightning bar tail and p90s thatnthey did the same treatment. They look like counterparts to 50's model LP. I'd really like to see that.

The naked LE this yeR looks good and hope they expand on that.

And lastly, I'd love to see some traditional style bursts (bournon, cherry, lemon).

What would you like to see?

I felt the 2016 SG offerings haven't been too bad. There's another thread around here dealing with the same "issue".

I had my eye on a Standard P-90, and those new "Naked" SG's were intriguing, but they were lacking in the end. Then I located a used—in excellent condition—2010 SG Classic. It's really everything I look for in an SG, and now I've no real need to look much further.

I now own the 2010 Classic, my old 1991 Standard, and a 2013 '50s Tribute. So I think I am good... for now. [biggrin]

• 3 weeks later...

Its a tough job pleasing everyone. [biggrin]

Their working on it though. [thumbup]

Im thinking this same model like here with another pick-up in the middle [and a blend]

Maybe for 2017 the router comes out! [biggrin] Already took the measurements "perfect"

IMG_1069_zpsq6yah8dp.jpg

Ah, the grass is always greener on the other side. But where is it the "greenest"???

I got a 2016 SG Standard T a couple weeks ago. It's fantastic. Best Gibson I've owned in 30 years of playing. I am far happier with it than I expected to be.

The quality is excellent in every way. It's the first guitar I ever bought that I didn't immediately feel like I had to tweak to be happy with the action.

It's very, very resonant. I'm usually no fan of the 498 pickup, but I even like that thing on this guitar.

When I get a chance I'll post some pics; it has the most striking grain pattern on the body, 2 piece I believe.

As far as I'm concerned, the 2016 SG is the best ever...

The only SG (This year) that interests me, is the HP version, of the P-90 Standard.

The HP HAS the '61's beveling and horn tapering, while the "Traditional" does not!

So, I'd get the HP, and have some work done on it, to take it back to a more traditional

spec's, by replacing the nut, with a bone version, and the robot tuners, to more traditional

tuners. Not sure what I'd do, about the odd placement of the front strap button. LOL

CB

The HP HAS the '61's beveling and horn tapering, while the "Traditional" does not!

I know, I kinda like it without the beveling and the 61 joint, go figure. Mine are all beveled but I kinda like it the other way.

Imo they need to keep the 61-RI or a Standard of like appointments in the line-up.

I know, I kinda like it without the beveling and the 61 joint, go figure. Mine are all beveled but I kinda like it the other way.

Imo they need to keep the 61-RI or a Standard of like appointments in the line-up.

Archived