Gibson Brands Forums

I Need A Masterbilt Saddle Relacement

bluezguy

Greetings,

I am original registered owner of an almost 10 year old DR-500RNS Masterbilt.

Where do I get an OE bone replacement saddle?

I've had no luck doing google searches.

To coin a famous James Brown plea ..... HEPP ME, UGH !!!!

;>)

There is no OE bone saddle. Find a local guy that comes highly recommended, take it to him, tell him you want a bone nut and saddle and bring your strings for him. Done.

rct

I had a chip in mine. I emailed epiphone and they sent me a new one. Might check and see if they might do the same for you.

Great Idea .... duhhhhh - don't ever get old! A few years ago, I would've done just that! Thanks for reminding me ;>)

Find a local guy that comes highly recommended, take it to him, tell him you want a bone nut and saddle and bring your strings for him. Done.

rct

This would be my initial response as well. I'll fool with my elec's any day of the week, but when it comes to acoustics, especially a Masterbilt, well, take it to someone who really knows wtf they're doing. I'm fortunate in that I have a very good tech/luthier that I trust.

There is no OE bone saddle. Find a local guy that comes highly recommended, take it to him, tell him you want a bone nut and saddle and bring your strings for him. Done.

rct

My AJ500RC came factory equipped with a compensated, nicely machined bone saddle...verified by the hot pin test.

If Gibson/Epiphone will not supply you with one, send your original to Bob Colosi, he'll create one that has the correct offset to maintain the factory intonation and is sized correctly for the width of your slot. He will send it to you slightly too tall. That will allow you to sand the base down (use sandpaper attached to a piece of window glass so you are sure you have a flat surface) to adjust the action/break angle. It's not necessarily a difficult process...just go slowly as you proceed to sand the bottom of the saddle so you don't take too much off and have to start all over. Bob's products are first class.

If you're not certain you can do the sizing correctly, by all means take it to a competent technician or (preferably) a luthier for the fitting.

Cheers!

Dugly B)

Archived