Gibson Brands Forums

cross the border

the dog

I can't say I like it hp - it isn't my style of music anyway.

As an anti-immigration rant it'd fall foul of the PC crowd in this country although that is no criticism from a decidedly right wing libertarian very unPC bod like me!

I'll give you my honest opine HP..

I'm not into punk much at all, never was, but that said, the recording is very good, and all tracks are well played.

band is tight, and the track is well mixed, the vocal might bit a little too hot, but that's just my personal preference.

so even though the music style isn't something I would listen to normally, I think you did a good job on it.

I thought everything about it was really well done, except the lyrics. They're too direct, IMO. I think songs with a political theme should have lyrics with more subtlety. If in your face is what you want, you've got it in spades. And I'm thinking it is actually spoof of Trump. Amirite?

I removed the link to the youtube video because even though the original post appeared to solicit opinions on the performance, as has happened countless times on forums, the subject matter is a bit too volatile. People will not be offering an opinion on the performance but rather the lyrics and this will serve no positive purpose; it will only spark fights (notice I skipped 'debate').

I removed the link to the youtube video because even though the original post appeared to solicit opinions on the performance, as has happened countless times on forums, the subject matter is a bit too volatile. People will not be offering an opinion on the performance but rather the lyrics and this will serve no positive purpose; it will only spark fights (notice I skipped 'debate').

OK...might as well just delete this thread then.....

How about continuing with a different perspective? As someone who grew up in the '60 s, there's a fair amount of 'protest' material in my background. IMO some of it is historically interesting, some is enduring, and some is downright embarrassing. Does anyone have thoughts about elements that tend to classify songs into one or more of those categories?

How about continuing with a different perspective? As someone who grew up in the '60 s, there's a fair amount of 'protest' material in my background. IMO some of it is historically interesting, some is enduring, and some is downright embarrassing. Does anyone have thoughts about elements that tend to classify songs into one or more of those categories?

Yes.

Here is a link to the lyrics of "I Pity The Poor Immigrant" which Dylan wrote/recorded on "John Wesley Harding", 1969.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/i-pity-the-poor-immigrant-lyrics-bob-dylan.html

Over to you.

Could be an interesting topic.

Music is a powerful thing, and expressive. That's why "political" songs seem to work so well. As well as lots of other subject matter.

I tend to NOT like political songs, from either side of the fence, because I think putting music to politics is misleading. Many GOOD songs have been used to change a point of view, and I don't think music is an 'authentic' determining factor when considering good vs bad, right from wrong, etc.

We tend to look up to good musicians, good songwriters, and admire them for the songs they create. It's SO easy to then assume that their point of view, or message in a song is correct, or has validity because we feel like we like the person. I catch myself doing it.

A good song is a good song, but that doesn't make a thing true. Doesn't make an opinion valid, and doesn't even say that's how most feel. It's just a song.

Ok ,I am going to add my 2 cents. When I was at Woodstock, the Who were doing their set. Abby Hoffman tried to jump in and take over the stage and start a political rant. Well as you may know he was unceremoniously tossed off the stage. And at that time the Who's music had quite a bit of anti govt overtones. Nobody was there to start a revolution,they wanted to hear the music and that was it. I heard the aforementioned song and it was a bit edgy IMO,but the overall song was well done. For someone that sees the illegal immigrants coming across the border and totally ignoring our laws and policies,I do feel that although the song is like a punch in the gut,there is truth in the ;lyrics. And yes they could easily lead to fights and not debates.Personally it not something that I would play to my family or friends,as they might throw down,because their opinions are all over the spectrum on the immigration debate.

[cursing]

Ok ,I am going to add my 2 cents. When I was at Woodstock, the Who were doing their set. Abby Hoffman tried to jump in and take over the stage and start a political rant. Well as you may know he was unceremoniously tossed off the stage. And at that time the Who's music had quite a bit of anti govt overtones. Nobody was there to start a revolution,they wanted to hear the music and that was it. I heard the aforementioned song and it was a bit edgy IMO,but the overall song was well done. For someone that sees the illegal immigrants coming across the border and totally ignoring our laws and policies,I do feel that although the song is like a punch in the gut,there is truth in the ;lyrics. And yes they could easily lead to fights and not debates.Personally it not something that I would play to my family or friends,as they might throw down,because their opinions are all over the spectrum on the immigration debate.

[cursing]

Well ,you know you should not post under the effect of anesthesia,I reread this just now and not sure what the **** it has to do with anything?

Sorry for the babble.

I don't think there is anything wrong with "political songs". You either accept them for what they are or not according to taste. I could listen to hp's song as either a rant or a spoof depending on mood although it didn't do anything for me musically because I just don't like the style no matter how well performed it might be.

I quite like some of Billy Bragg's or Morrisey's music (including the words) but I absolutely detest their politics.

Archived