Gibson Brands Forums

Decent 12 String Tuner

LoriB

I've been looking for an app or a clip on tuner for my Epiphone acoustic 12 string. I've seen some discussions here and elsewhere about tuners but I wonder if any are better suited for the 12. I'm thinking I should have something that helps me tune down a whole or half step. im also looking for something inexpensive since I'm on a pretty tight budget.

Which one do you like?

My ear isn't good enough for me to use to tune.

Thanks.

I got a tuner from a recommendation on these forums. I forget who posted it, but he said "I had a snark tuner. It broke. I got another one." Haha!

Yes, a clip-on blue snark should do fine, and it's less than 10 bucks. Tuning down should be no problem since it shows the note you're tuned to. It senses the vibrations from the headstock. The red snark, slightly more expensive, has two sense modes: vibes or the audible sound waves. I don't see the need for anything more than the blue snark.

planet waves NS Headstock tunner is pretty reliable as well. I don't know if they improved the "clip" device, I have a few, 2 of the larger ones, which work good, then a more recent one that is a smaller profile but the clipping device that attaches to the headstock is not as good as the earlier ones.

OTHO, if you want to hit this with a big hammer, a Peterson StroboClip is probably the best one out there, but not cheap.

planet waves NS Headstock tunner is pretty reliable as well. I don't know if they improved the "clip" device, I have a few, 2 of the larger ones, which work good, then a more recent one that is a smaller profile but the clipping device that attaches to the headstock is not as good as the earlier ones.

OTHO, if you want to hit this with a big hammer, a Peterson StroboClip is probably the best one out there, but not cheap.

Thanks, I think the StroboClip may cost more than I want to spend and be much better than I would notice. It’s not like I’m playing for an audience. But yeah, it does look like a great tuner. [thumbup]

I got a tuner from a recommendation on these forums. I forget who posted it, but he said "I had a snark tuner. It broke. I got another one." Haha!

Yes, a clip-on blue snark should do fine, and it's less than 10 bucks. Tuning down should be no problem since it shows the note you're tuned to. It senses the vibrations from the headstock. The red snark, slightly more expensive, has two sense modes: vibes or the audible sound waves. I don't see the need for anything more than the blue snark.

Cool, thanks.

Archived