Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt AJ-500 RCE feedback problem (Big Hummm)

philippe406

Hi all

I'm having a very strange problem. I bought a AJ-500 RCE yesterday and I've plugged it to my PA system (as usual with my other guitars). When I increase the volume just something like 1/4 of the radio switch, I get a Hummmm.

This is very strange, I'm unable to increase the volume of my guitar. As a comparison I've tested (in the same conditions, same distance from PA etc...) with the same PA settings my Takamin EF-261 and there is no problem I can play it without any humm and at a very high volume level.

Also for you information, I have use the Anti feedback switch which correct just a little bit my problem.

Please advise me, do you think that there is a problem with my pickup unit ? do I have to bring it back to the shop ?

I really like the acoustic sound of this guitar so I really like to keep this model... Please Advise.

Thank you in advance for all of you...

I really like the acoustic sound of this guitar so I really like to keep this model...

Yeah, that's a great guitar.

Please advise me, do you think that there is a problem with my pickup unit ? do I have to bring it back to the shop ?

Well, it could be the undersaddle pickup, or it could be some flaky wiring, or poor grounding, or...? If you can't fix it by blowing on it, yeah, take it back to the shop. You need to plug that baby in and crank her up. [thumbup]

Hi thank you for this reply

Gibson europe have also advised me to change the batteries, I've done that as well but the results was the same. So I'll bring this back to the store.....

I'm very sad if this will also happen on other same models. Hope this is an unique case..... :-( this guitar sounds really nicely. Lovely sound....:-).

Also I have noticed that there is a hug vibration (when pluged) on the 5th (A) string ??? I don't know why.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I'm having a very strange problem. I bought a AJ-500 RCE yesterday and I've plugged it to my PA system (as usual with my other guitars). When I increase the volume just something like 1/4 of the radio switch, I get a Hummmm.

While I cannot help you with the problem you described, I have replied to this thread for a different reason.

I, too, own an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500RC...of all my guitars (14 of them at this time) the AJ is my very favorite, and it has some very expensive competition in my collection (a $4,000 Breedlove custom shop guitar among them). I mention this because when I obtained my AJ500RC the model had already been discontinued by Gibson...thank goodness I had my order in at Sweetwater prior to Epiphone's discontinuation notice. At that time there was no "juiced" model...the AJ500RC was the only one sold.

I am about to juice mine up and am intrigued by your claim to have a factory juiced model. Could you please post some photos? I was never aware of any "E" model or I would have purchased one! At this time I'm thinking about the K&K Mini, but still not certain.

Any information regarding a factory juiced AJ500RC would certainly be appreciated. Thanks!

Dugly B)

While I cannot help you with the problem you described, I have replied to this thread for a different reason.

I, too, own an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500RC...of all my guitars (14 of them at this time) the AJ is my very favorite, and it has some very expensive competition in my collection (a $4,000 Breedlove custom shop guitar among them). I mention this because when I obtained my AJ500RC the model had already been discontinued by Gibson...thank goodness I had my order in at Sweetwater prior to Epiphone's discontinuation notice. At that time there was no "juiced" model...the AJ500RC was the only one sold.

I am about to juice mine up and am intrigued by your claim to have a factory juiced model. Could you please post some photos? I was never aware of any "E" model or I would have purchased one! At this time I'm thinking about the K&K Mini, but still not certain.

Any information regarding a factory juiced AJ500RC would certainly be appreciated. Thanks!

Dugly B)

Here you go: http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic/Electric/Ltd-Ed-Masterbilt-AJ-500RCE.aspx

Yeah, the RC is totally different than the RCE. I'm assuming your RC is the rosewood-cedar 12-fret slot-head. As shown in Rover's link, the RCE is a rosewood cutaway, regular 14-fret, regular peg-head. No 12-fret RC came with electronics AFAIK.

I've heard a lot of good things about the K&K mini. You might also consider a D-TAR dual source...

I have also recently had problems with the Nanoflex pickup (of my Inspired by Texan 1964 though); that particular pickup system seems to be quite susceptible to malfunctioning. I would get constant buzzing or feedback from the pickup for no apparent reason. I contacted the retailer I bought the guitar from, and he's replacing the electronics of the guitar entirely. I will have her back in a few weeks.

• 4 months later...

Yeah, the RC is totally different than the RCE. I'm assuming your RC is the rosewood-cedar 12-fret slot-head. As shown in Rover's link, the RCE is a rosewood cutaway, regular 14-fret, regular peg-head. No 12-fret RC came with electronics AFAIK.

I've heard a lot of good things about the K&K mini. You might also consider a D-TAR dual source...

Yes, mine is the prior slot-headed 12-fret model, not the peg-head/14-fret free current model.

I've never heard of the D-TAR option, will do some research.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers!

Dugly

Archived