Gibson Brands Forums

Noob Here: Best String Gauge for Back & Forth from E to D Standard?...

dr150

Currently my Les Paul uses standard GHS 10.5-50 David Gilmour string set in E Standard tuning.

I want to occasionally play songs in D Standard or D Drop C.

What is a good set of strings that'll provide me that versatility (with realistic string bending in E standard) without it going too noodly/fret buzzy on the high and low strings when I drop tune it?

Currently my Les Paul uses standard GHS 10.5-50 David Gilmour string set in E Standard tuning.

What is a good set of strings that'll provide me that versatility (with realistic string bending in E standard) without it going too noodly/fret buzzy on the high and low strings when I drop tune it?

While I'm not expert on these things, I believe (from what I've read) you might need to up it to around a 12-gauge minimum, and maybe take the tailpiece right down to the body; increasing the break angle over the bridge to maintain some string tension when in dropped tuning.

Someone else who knows more on this will hopefully weigh-in and tell me to shut up if I'm wrong msp_biggrin.gif

Trial and error would prevail in this instance... [thumbup]

Many guitarists would have an extra near identical guitar ready tuned to grab... [thumbup]

It is a major adjustment to string tension taking the guitar down to 'D' and then with a 'C' 6th.....all from standard 'concert' pitch...this would impact on neck relief, string height etc...

This partly explains why professionals take a 'rack' full of guitars on stage... :blink:

V

:-({|=

this is why the good lord gave us the ability to have more than one guitar..

• 3 weeks later...

Archived