Gibson Brands Forums

Shadow SH Performer quit working

Steve-CC

I bought an Epiphone AJ220SCE/VS in June of 2014. A little bit under two years ago. Just recently the Pre-Amp /Tuner quit working correctly.

It wasn't working so I put in new batteries, hit the tuner button, lights came on and it worked but did not seem quite normal. Sure enough it worked intermittently and the next day the batteries were dead. Put in new set - hit the tuner button, lights came on and it worked but did not seem quite normal. Worked intermittent. Pulled the batteries out. Tested them - 1st set dead as a door-nail - second set still ok. So it drained a set dry in 24 hours or less.

It is a Shadow SH Performer. You can see it here.

I am still waiting for Gibson to get back to me but I'm guessing it is out of warranty and I am on my own. As such I'm trying to figure out what I want to do.

What do you all think?

I bought an Epiphone AJ220SCE/VS in June of 2014. A little bit under two years ago. Just recently the Pre-Amp /Tuner quit working correctly.

It wasn't working so I put in new batteries, hit the tuner button, lights came on and it worked but did not seem quite normal. Sure enough it worked intermittently and the next day the batteries were dead. Put in new set - hit the tuner button, lights came on and it worked but did not seem quite normal. Worked intermittent. Pulled the batteries out. Tested them - 1st set dead as a door-nail - second set still ok. So it drained a set dry in 24 hours or less.

It is a Shadow SH Performer. You can see it here.

I am still waiting for Gibson to get back to me but I'm guessing it is out of warranty and I am on my own. As such I'm trying to figure out what I want to do.

What do you all think?

Remove the strings and make certain all connections inside the body are seated firmly. ALL of them. Even if they look ok, physically make sure.

I've read a few threads on other forums where this was exactly the cause.

• 2 months later...

Update - Issue resolved.

Gibson was worthless - it took over a month to just get the answer that yes the Shadow unit is under warranty, and that I need to take the whole guitar to a repair center. Then a couple more emails to find that the only repair place near me was the Guitar Center in Reno.

Could I just send the electronics? No way.

So I took the guitar to the Guitar Center in Reno on a day and time when the tech was there thinking that, contrary to what the rep told me on the phone, I might be able to have him diagnose the unit and just leave the unit, not the whole guitar. No luck. He would not even look at it. He told me I needed to leave the whole guitar for at least two weeks and I might not get the same guitar back. No way.

So I went to Bizarre guitar in Reno. What a great store! Friendly people, the tech checked it out right there in front of me and isolated the problem. All the wires were fine, I needed a replacement,not fixable. Unfortunately he could not get me a Shadow Performer since he is not an authorized rep for either Gibson or Shadow. No charge though. I know where I will be going from now on - Bizarre Guitar!

Fortunately I had made contact with the USA Rep for Shadow already and knew I could buy a new unit if I needed one. Now I knew. Ordered one, got it fast, installed it, perfect. Now that I see how it is supposed to work I realize that mine never worked correctly. It had issues from day one that just got worse over time.

Thank you Shadow USA and Bizarre Guitar!

Steve

Carson City, Nevada

Archived