Gibson Brands Forums

True Historic strap button screws

heatonmead

Looking for some help: I'm looking for a source for strap button screws for my 15 TH R9. They appear to be #8-13 1 1/2 inch wood screws but finding a source anywhere is not proving to be easy. I need a second for Schaller strap locks but need to file down the head a bit so it will fit into the Schaller button. I don't want to use something that has a different thread or have to use the tooth pick option. It just seems ridiculous to spend $$$ on a guitar to strip out the threads with the wrong screw. Your help is appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for some help: I'm looking for a source for strap button screws for my 15 TH R9. They appear to be #8-13 1 1/2 inch wood screws but finding a source anywhere is not proving to be easy. I need a second for Schaller strap locks but need to file down the head a bit so it will fit into the Schaller button. I don't want to use something that has a different thread or have to use the tooth pick option. It just seems ridiculous to spend $$ on a guitar to strip out the threads with the wrong screw. Your help is appreciated!

i'm sure you could find one at a good hardware store

• 1 month later...

Mojoaxe.com sells Schaller buttons with enlarged holes that take the factory screws.

Tim, Thanks. I ordered these from Mojoaxe and unfortunately the screw provided is not correct. It's a sheet metal screw with the wrong thread and the tip is fatter than the correct wood screw. Yea it will work but there is no going back without resorting to a toothpick repair. I've scoured hardware stores, Boat US, the internet and have yet to find the proper wood screw. It may seem like not a big deal to many but I have a lot invested in the TH, I'm not really interested in modifying the guitar for a .50 cent screw.

For now I've found some rubber washers at Lowe's that seem to be working out just fine. I'm still a little nervous about them because I had one slip off on me before. I've dropped guitars before but never lost one with Schallers after switching to them a long time ago.

• 5 months later...

I'm having the EXACT same dilemma trying to track one down for my '10 R9. Same situation with strap locks, everything. Just some information for you- gibson changed to these screws for the '09 year and has used them until present. Previous historics are smaller screws. I'm going to start a new thread about this with hopes that someone from gibson can help me out. If so I'll let you know.

Archived