Gibson Brands Forums

2 Serial Numbers on '67 J160E

GoneTroppo

Hey folks,

I've recently acquired a 1967 J160E, being the Beatle nut that I am.. Anyway, I was amazed at the utter lack of resonance that it had played acoustically. But plugged in, the P90 pickup really has a sweet, full and original tone. And then the shimmer of the strings acoustically together with the pickup have 'that' sound, so classic.. I've been playing her live at my solo shows and have got a great tone running through an acoustic preamp,

Anyway, she had a neck break somewhere in her history, with a very professional repair, as well as a pro neck reset (black burst behind the nut & neck heel). It also happens to have 2 serial numbers stamped on the back of the headstock. The seller told me that is what Gibson do when they do a major repair themselves. Can anyone confirm this?

post-75160-039547300 1459546641_thumb.jpg

Please share your thoughts..

My initial thoughts on the repair as being professional? I am not 'seeing' that in the pic. It certainly does not look like a Gibson repair (I hope)! I am sure it may be structurally sound, but the finish work is lacking.

I have read somewhere about the double serial number thing, but can't recall what...??

Hopefully you got a 'deal' ....as these kind of repairs, take a hit on the value!

Archived